Re: [SCA-JML] First Post! a few amor questions

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      On Thu, 1 May 2003, raimarusan wrote:

      > 1. i prefer to dodge blows rather than block them, but in the only
      > armor ive fought in, late 16th european plate, there was no
      > possibility for this. plus i am a bit on the large side of the size
      > scale, what pattern of do should i use?

      Whatever you like. The later period variants tend to be made more for
      fighting on foot than the early period versions.

      You are still going to be under the SCA regulations, and the SCA fighting
      styles. Not that you can't do it, but I'm not sure that Japanese armour
      necessarily makes this any easier than a good western suit--and you have
      to add additional bits (elbow couters, gauntlets, and metal that is thick
      enough to not deform under constant 'killing blows').

      > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
      > that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is
      > that because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
      > black? i hate red.

      Red is traditional. You so see some that don't have it--I'm thinking in
      particular of a black do laced in blue.

      Perhaps the best way is to find a do that you like and try to copy that
      style.

      > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing a
      > katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

      Out of curiosity, has anyone found that making a 'katana' with sori and
      all is actually useful in the SCA?

      I would recommend making a long sword that is comfortable for you and your
      fighting style and if you wish to limit yourself to a single edge, only
      tape one edge. Personally, rattan is so far removed from an actual katana
      that I really don't think it makes much difference to me, but YMMV.

      > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial freedom, a
      > shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to make my armor
      > seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can i do to
      > accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or accuracy?

      Well, the main problems are going to be the SCA impositions. The easiest
      things to do, however, are things such as making clothes that will go over
      much of the armour.

      Truly cheap armour would have you probably wearing a do and not much else,
      including clothing (fundoshi and waraji). However, you probably want more
      than that.

      -Ii
    • raimarusan
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2003
        thanks i think the clothes over armor idea is just what im looking
        for, consequently, i went back over the site, for like the five
        millionth time, and i have decided to go with the black laquer/ kon
        lacing theme, thanks.
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2003
          Hi, I don't know if this book has ever been talked
          about. You might want to try and find it. It is called
          "Samurai Undressed" by Jacqui Carey. It was published
          in 1995, ISBN 095232251x. It is 80 pages and cost
          about $18. I would try a internet search to find the
          book. It was published in England and did not show up
          on my Library Book Search Program for US libraries. It
          is a small size book that is about "The Braiding
          Part" of the armour.
          http://www.careycompany.com/sam-undress.html
          I own the book if you want to know more about it.
          Bill
          --- raimarusan <raimaru@...> wrote:
          > thanks i think the clothes over armor idea is just
          > what im looking
          > for, consequently, i went back over the site, for
          > like the five
          > millionth time, and i have decided to go with the
          > black laquer/ kon
          > lacing theme, thanks.

          =====
          Bill Fornshell
          Founder and President
          Cold Mountain Chanoyu
          (Tea School for the New Millennium)
          School of One
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Don Luby
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2003
            On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:41 PM, raimarusan wrote:

            > greetings fellow anachronists!
            > I have been going to sca events for a while now, and so far ive been
            > going in the guise of an early period celt. but a few events ago i
            > saw someone there that was dressed in japanese garb. I have always
            > been a fan of japanese culture, and decided that it would be an
            > injustice for me to continue under false pretences (I am a celt by
            > blood, but who's counting). so anyway, i am trying to make the most
            > accurate armor i can, for combat of course, but the way i want to go
            > with it is a bit strange. I am a student of togakure ryu bujinkan,
            > a.k.a. ninjutsu, and so i am going to have a ninja persona. but of
            > course i dont want anyone to know that, so i am going to pretend to
            > be a samurai. so here are my questions
            >
            > 1. i prefer to dodge blows rather than block them, but in the only
            > armor i've fought in, late 16th european plate, there was no
            > possibility for this. plus i am a bit on the large side of the size
            > scale, what pattern of do should i use?

            Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'large side of the size scale',
            but a number of the fighters in Yama Kaminari (including myself) might
            fit that description, being 6' - 6' 3" and 220# - 280#, and that
            pattern works well for us.

            > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
            > that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is that
            > because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
            > black? i hate red.

            I think that's just a color preference on his part - for example, my
            sode are laced red, with a few rows of white on the bottom. There are
            some pics of other yoroi in the folder for this group on Yahoo that
            have other lacing color schemes, and are quite fine.

            > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing
            > a katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

            It's a stick. :)
            Seriously, though, it has to follow your kingdom's greatsword
            requirements (length, length of hilt, guard/tsuba, thrusting tip if
            you want one, &c) and the Society's marshallate policies (1.25"
            minimum width, the blade being taped appropriately, &c). Various
            people have different preferences, based on combat style and taste -
            my katanas have a blade length of [hand-at-top-of-hilt to big toe with
            arm relaxed], a hilt of 15", and planed down to 1.25" for its entire
            length.

            > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial freedom,
            > a shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to make my
            > armor seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can i do to
            > accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or accuracy?

            Go for something ashigaru-looking, with the appropriate armored bits
            to be legal (and safe) wherever you're fighting.

            > thats all for now, any help would be appreciated. <<bows>>

            Sir Koredono

            Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono, KSCA
            djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
          • toshio
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2003
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Don Luby <djl@t...> wrote:
              > On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:41 PM, raimarusan wrote:
              >
              > greetings fellow anachronists!
              > I have been going to sca events for a while now, and so far ive
              >been going in the guise of an early period celt. but a few events
              >ago i saw someone there that was dressed in japanese garb. I have
              >always been a fan of japanese culture, and decided that it would be
              >an injustice for me to continue under false pretences (I am a celt by
              > blood, but who's counting). so anyway, i am trying to make the
              >most accurate armor i can, for combat of course, but the way i want
              >to go with it is a bit strange. I am a student of togakure ryu
              >bujinkan, a.k.a. ninjutsu, and so i am going to have a ninja
              >persona. but of course i dont want anyone to know that, so i am
              >going to pretend to be a samurai. so here are my questions

              Would not the best way to avoid detection
              as a ninja would be to dress as a Celt?

              > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
              that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is
              that because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
              black? i hate red.

              Using red for hishinui, the binding laces on the hishinui-no-ita (the
              bottom most row of kozane or plates) is traditional, regardless of
              the color of the vertical lacing used. There were armors laced
              entirely in black, purple, green, but almost always with a
              contrasting color used for hishinui. The left and right most lacing
              on each section of armor is called the Mimi ito and is always some
              contrasting color or multi-colored braid unless you are recreating
              the Wal-Mart special knock-off armors of ashigaru.

              > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing
              >a katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

              As Koredono-Sensei says, it's a stick. Drop by the Yama-Kaminari
              camp at Pennsic and we'd be happy to help you in your research.

              > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial
              >freedom, a shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to
              >make my armor seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can
              >i do to accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or
              >accuracy?

              You might try one of the "mat" type of armors, using hexagonal plates
              connected by chainmail to a fabric backing. That's pretty cheap and
              easy to wear modern or european joint protection underneath without
              sacrificing your appearance or safety.

              Toshinobu
            • raimarusan
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2003
                of course the best way to avoid detection would be to dress as a
                celt, but thats not as fun now is it?