Re: [SCA-JML] Kote

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 3:37 AM
      On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Chris Vapenik wrote:

      > Konbanwa. With all this talk about armor I started looking at the pics
      > of suits posted in the files. Well specficly looking looking at examples
      > of sets of kote. First of all they are really beautiful, and i wanted to
      > make my set as such, however I was wondering, in the more traditional
      > route of full fabric arms for the kote how do you rig the armor to avoid
      > the infamous "Amour Funk?" what have you done to solve this problem?
      > Secondly, what do you do in place of the elbow cups? I think Baron
      > Effingham sama said something about placing them under the kote? Does
      > anyone have sources of patterns suppliers, or simply suggestions on how
      > to go about this. anything would be helpful... I thank you in advance
      > for any trouble in the matter. Doomo Arigatoo Gozaimashita Chris Vapenik

      So far, I haven't had a problem with that. Generally, my suggestion would
      be to leave it out in the open and not in a cramped armour box too much,
      but that goes for all armour.

      You can probably wash it if you do the metal bits right--just wash them by
      hand and hang them out to dry. I've not felt a need for that with mine.

      As for the elbow couters: I use wingless elbow cops that cover the
      'points' on my elbow and prevent a sword from smashing into my arm (I
      could probably still be in danger from a tip at just the right angle, but
      I'm used to some risk in life). I put this on over an elbow pad, and it
      gets covered by a kosode, hitatare, and then the kote. I've not been
      fighting much lately, but I never had a problem with that setup ripping
      through or anything.