Paper on plate?

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 12:54 PM
      Hello,

      It was mentioned by one of my kyudo teachers that Japanese armor
      plates could be first covered by (Japanese) paper and then lacquered.
      Any ideas how this was done?

      Apparently the previous headmaster of our Ryu used this tehcnique for
      his armor. Asking him about it is a little bit difficult because he
      passed away few years ago.

      Regards,

      Klaus
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29 2:12 PM
        Klaus,
        The surface of the plate or scale is "keyed" with a rough file or
        abrasive, then a coating of lacquer is applied as an adhesive. The
        paper (usually a mulbery paper, if I am not mistaken) is put down on
        this when the lacquer is still wet, forming a bond. It is then given
        another thin coat of wet lacquer.
        When all is dry, the lacquer is reenforced with the paper, like rebarb
        reenforces concrete. That is polished to a smooth finish, and several
        more coats of lacquer are applied, letting each dry, and polishing
        before application. The final coats of lacquer had carbon, or other
        colorings added, even including powdered metals, such as silver or
        gold filings,possibly finished off with a coating of clear lacquer to
        give a deapth to the sheen.
        This is how I understand the process.
        Humidity was always a problem during the drying period, and could
        cloud or alter the finish, and effect the hardness.

        PS. I like your web site!

        Date Saburou Yukiie
        Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
        http://www.kabutographics.com
        kabuto@...

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Marko Peussa" <marko.peussa@k...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > It was mentioned by one of my kyudo teachers that Japanese armor
        > plates could be first covered by (Japanese) paper and then lacquered.
        > Any ideas how this was done?
        >
        > Apparently the previous headmaster of our Ryu used this tehcnique for
        > his armor. Asking him about it is a little bit difficult because he
        > passed away few years ago.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Klaus
      • Marko Peussa
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2003
          Thanks for the info, I think the roughing step is quite important. At some
          time I'm going to try it out with modern black lacquer paint. Could the
          paper be the 'washi' they sell for calligraphy? I have a roll of it.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2003
            > Thanks for the info, I think the roughing step is quite important.
            At some
            > time I'm going to try it out with modern black lacquer paint. Could the
            > paper be the 'washi' they sell for calligraphy? I have a roll of it.
            >
            > Klaus

            Klaus,
            I have tried using that type of paper, with some success, but I have
            also used successive coats of modern lacquer paint without it, with
            similar success.
            With the right primer coating, and enough layers, and proper drying
            times, and lack of moisture...The modern lacquer paint works well
            enough for most things, but it does look slightly different from
            traditional lacquer.
            I have found that after all of that, if I give the finished piece one
            or two coats of a polyurethane Varnish, over the black, that an
            interesting depth is built up, which to my eye lookes better than just
            the paint.
            I use a wood stain polyurethane varnish, whick is slightly caramel in
            color. I think the combo looks great, and adds to the structural
            integrity of the scales and plates a small bit. You don't really see
            the caramel color much, but it makes the black look richer.
            I also tend to think that the slightly elastic but weatherproof
            surface may protect the lacquer below...but make sure that the
            primers/paper are dry and secure, or the chipping can be a nightmare
            (just like it was in period!)
            I also use this technique for the ebira I make (which you have seen
            photos of.)
            One last word...be carefull when it is time to lace...the friction of
            what ever lacing you might use tends to heat up and wear down the
            coating near the holes. This is not so bad, but it can muddy up bright
            color lacing pretty fast. By using shorter lengths of lacing (do not
            try to lace your whole harness with one long piece of odoshi!) this
            can be controlled somewhat.

            Hope that helps some.

            Date-

            Date Saburou Yukiie