Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese character set?

  • Richard Brooks
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
      You guys are gonna laugh- I've got windows 98
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
        On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Richard Brooks wrote:

        > You guys are gonna laugh- I've got windows 98

        No laughing here. It was a good OS for me until I got to 2K--still
        haven't bothered going over to XP yet. Try IE 3.0 or later and see if
        they install the fonts along with it. You may need to have the original
        install CD there.

        Sorry that this is turning into a computer discussion, but I believe that
        reading Japanese web pages does fall under the general umbrella of
        assisting in research.

        -Ii
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
          Hi, As a Mac user I know that AFTER Windows 98, MS is
          able to track its software and control its use and
          transfer. So if Windows 98 was any good it could be
          shared with anyone running an older slower computer
          without MS interference. I also think that the
          computer and the internet is used for so much of the
          research we do for SCA questions that any information
          that helps us become smarter computer folks is as
          important as anything else we might talk about.
          Thanks. Bill

          --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
          > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Richard Brooks wrote:
          >
          > > You guys are gonna laugh- I've got windows 98
          >
          > No laughing here. It was a good OS for me until I
          > got to 2K--still
          > haven't bothered going over to XP yet. Try IE 3.0
          > or later and see if
          > they install the fonts along with it. You may need
          > to have the original
          > install CD there.
          >
          > Sorry that this is turning into a computer
          > discussion, but I believe that
          > reading Japanese web pages does fall under the
          > general umbrella of
          > assisting in research.
          >
          > -Ii

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2003
            More than you want to know here:
            http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html

            If your running Windows of any kind you can get the Japanese IME for the
            earlier versions, this allows you to enter Japanese text using various
            programs. I normally use JWP and then cut and paste since the IME seems
            slow and klunky to me. It's not required for newer versions of Windows
            supposedly. Also Jim Breen's page featured above has dictionaries, etc.
            many are free.

            > From: "DP Gregersen" <gregorrius@...>
            >This will enable reading, but to write the characters is another
            >matter, as you need Japanese windows, or at least some kind of J word
            >processor. The best you can do in English wp is cut and paste them.

            No, you can use the IME with explorer and the like so you can write
            e-mails. I haven't worked with XP yet, so I can't be 100% certain, but I
            know that all other English Windows (95-Win2K) can use Japanese entry
            methods given the right software, which is free from MS.

            Go to the above web page and knock yourself out!

            Jim Eckman
          • raimarusan
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3 8:24 AM
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "DP Gregersen" <gregorrius@y...>
              wrote:
              > If you attempt to surf any Japanese webpage, Explorer will
              recognize
              > them and locate & download the character set from Microsoft. Same
              > for any language's.
              >
              > Try clicking around on Yahoo Japan.
              >
              > This will enable reading, but to write the characters is another
              > matter, as you need Japanese windows, or at least some kind of J
              word
              > processor. The best you can do in English wp is cut and paste them.

              if you have office xp, there is a patch you can download from
              microsoft that allows you to type in japanese and it converts your
              phonetic spelling to whatever char set you selected, i.e. katakana,
              hiragana, or kanji.
            • DP Gregersen
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3 12:29 PM
                > if you have office xp, there is a patch you can download from
                > microsoft that allows you to type in japanese and it converts your
                > phonetic spelling to whatever char set you selected, i.e. katakana,
                > hiragana, or kanji.

                This was mentioned; I only have ME but will give it a try, arigatou.

                Btw OT the hit Japanese sword & sorcery film ONMYOJI just opened
                stateside this weekend. Something to look for
                http://www.hkinsf.com/hkinsf/