Japanese character set?

  • Amanita
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 24, 2003
      Awhile ago, I was asking about the kanji characters for "Skyscraper".
      Somebody sent me an email with what I needed, but I don't have the
      character set to read them. Where can I get it?
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
        On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Amanita wrote:

        > Awhile ago, I was asking about the kanji characters for "Skyscraper".
        > Somebody sent me an email with what I needed, but I don't have the
        > character set to read them. Where can I get it?

        Most of today's operating systems will have some kind of upgrade--what are
        you working with? Mac, Windows, Linux, or Other?

        -Ii
      • Richard Brooks
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
          I've got windows, for what it's worth
          -Hirokawa no Tsuru
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
            On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Richard Brooks wrote:

            > I've got windows, for what it's worth
            > -Hirokawa no Tsuru

            I know that Win2K and XP come with the proper character sets, you just
            have to make sure that they are installed. JIS and SHIFT-JIS are usually
            what you want, although some people do their stuff in Unicode.

            Here are some suggestions I found online:
            http://www.szumo.hu/HOWTOSEE2.HTM
            http://tech.irt.org/articles/js134/#encoding
            http://www2.gol.com/users/pbw/jkeyb.htm#jpk_bro

            Hope that helps.

            -Ii
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003

              Greetings from Solveig! First you tell people exactly which operating
              system you have installed. You may already have the character sest
              available to you. Japanese is bundled with some U.S. operating systems.
              I just got further in this discussion. You have to tell people which
              version of Windows you have. For example, does your version of windows
              support unicode? The answer to that question greatly affects the sort
              of advice you will receive.

              >Awhile ago, I was asking about the kanji characters for "Skyscraper".
              >Somebody sent me an email with what I needed, but I don't have the
              >character set to read them. Where can I get it?

              Note. Unicode supports a larger Japanese character set than either JIS
              or shift-JIS. There is also kuten code.

            • DP Gregersen
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
                If you attempt to surf any Japanese webpage, Explorer will recognize
                them and locate & download the character set from Microsoft. Same
                for any language's.

                Try clicking around on Yahoo Japan.

                This will enable reading, but to write the characters is another
                matter, as you need Japanese windows, or at least some kind of J word
                processor. The best you can do in English wp is cut and paste them.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
                  On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Solveig wrote:

                  > >Awhile ago, I was asking about the kanji characters for "Skyscraper".
                  > >Somebody sent me an email with what I needed, but I don't have the
                  > >character set to read them. Where can I get it?
                  >
                  > Note. Unicode supports a larger Japanese character set than either JIS
                  > or shift-JIS. There is also kuten code.

                  Unfortunately, people don't seem to want to use Unicode as much as the use
                  Shift-JIS (which I imagine has mostly to do with what products support and
                  use them natively). Sigh.

                  -Ii
                • Richard Brooks
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
                    You guys are gonna laugh- I've got windows 98
                  • Ii Saburou
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
                      On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Richard Brooks wrote:

                      > You guys are gonna laugh- I've got windows 98

                      No laughing here. It was a good OS for me until I got to 2K--still
                      haven't bothered going over to XP yet. Try IE 3.0 or later and see if
                      they install the fonts along with it. You may need to have the original
                      install CD there.

                      Sorry that this is turning into a computer discussion, but I believe that
                      reading Japanese web pages does fall under the general umbrella of
                      assisting in research.

                      -Ii
                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 25, 2003
                        Hi, As a Mac user I know that AFTER Windows 98, MS is
                        able to track its software and control its use and
                        transfer. So if Windows 98 was any good it could be
                        shared with anyone running an older slower computer
                        without MS interference. I also think that the
                        computer and the internet is used for so much of the
                        research we do for SCA questions that any information
                        that helps us become smarter computer folks is as
                        important as anything else we might talk about.
                        Thanks. Bill

                        --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
                        > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Richard Brooks wrote:
                        >
                        > > You guys are gonna laugh- I've got windows 98
                        >
                        > No laughing here. It was a good OS for me until I
                        > got to 2K--still
                        > haven't bothered going over to XP yet. Try IE 3.0
                        > or later and see if
                        > they install the fonts along with it. You may need
                        > to have the original
                        > install CD there.
                        >
                        > Sorry that this is turning into a computer
                        > discussion, but I believe that
                        > reading Japanese web pages does fall under the
                        > general umbrella of
                        > assisting in research.
                        >
                        > -Ii

                        http://search.yahoo.com
                      • James Eckman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 26, 2003
                          More than you want to know here:
                          http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html

                          If your running Windows of any kind you can get the Japanese IME for the
                          earlier versions, this allows you to enter Japanese text using various
                          programs. I normally use JWP and then cut and paste since the IME seems
                          slow and klunky to me. It's not required for newer versions of Windows
                          supposedly. Also Jim Breen's page featured above has dictionaries, etc.
                          many are free.

                          > From: "DP Gregersen" <gregorrius@...>
                          >This will enable reading, but to write the characters is another
                          >matter, as you need Japanese windows, or at least some kind of J word
                          >processor. The best you can do in English wp is cut and paste them.

                          No, you can use the IME with explorer and the like so you can write
                          e-mails. I haven't worked with XP yet, so I can't be 100% certain, but I
                          know that all other English Windows (95-Win2K) can use Japanese entry
                          methods given the right software, which is free from MS.

                          Go to the above web page and knock yourself out!

                          Jim Eckman
                        • raimarusan
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 3, 2003
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "DP Gregersen" <gregorrius@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > If you attempt to surf any Japanese webpage, Explorer will
                            recognize
                            > them and locate & download the character set from Microsoft. Same
                            > for any language's.
                            >
                            > Try clicking around on Yahoo Japan.
                            >
                            > This will enable reading, but to write the characters is another
                            > matter, as you need Japanese windows, or at least some kind of J
                            word
                            > processor. The best you can do in English wp is cut and paste them.

                            if you have office xp, there is a patch you can download from
                            microsoft that allows you to type in japanese and it converts your
                            phonetic spelling to whatever char set you selected, i.e. katakana,
                            hiragana, or kanji.
                          • DP Gregersen
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 3, 2003
                              > if you have office xp, there is a patch you can download from
                              > microsoft that allows you to type in japanese and it converts your
                              > phonetic spelling to whatever char set you selected, i.e. katakana,
                              > hiragana, or kanji.

                              This was mentioned; I only have ME but will give it a try, arigatou.

                              Btw OT the hit Japanese sword & sorcery film ONMYOJI just opened
                              stateside this weekend. Something to look for
                              http://www.hkinsf.com/hkinsf/