First Post, question about ategane

  • Markus Breier
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 23, 2003
      Hi!

      I've been reading this list for quite some time now, and it gave me
      a lot of useful information, altough I'm not in the SCA. I live in
      Austria, and here the SCA is not very active. (I think there are
      only 3 or 4 members, and only a bow-tournament, the Hunting Season.)
      Also there are no other asian personas, altough I'm thinking on
      trying to take a look at it, encouraged by this list.
      I'am more in the larp-thing, where we craeted a Fantasy-Japan (which
      is more to the real thing than L5R) and we also have L5R-larps.

      I also build a set of armour for larp. Actually it was two sets, the
      first was made from aluminium, using the instruktion from usagitei.
      The second is made from iron, using Effingham's Site. (It is a
      sugake-laced 5-lame clamshell with shino-gote and suneate and
      haidate. The menpo is for dress only, since it is made from an
      adapted carnevall-mask.)
      The helmet is still the one from usagitei, but I'm about to change
      that. I'm making a 16-plate suji-kabuto with a hineno-shikoro. (I'm
      dishing the plates right now.)
      And here comes my question: Effingham mentions two plates, called
      ategane which should support the mazibashi. I can't imagine how they
      are formed and attached. Can anybody help me? It would be very nice.
      I also can upload some photos of the armour, if anybody is
      interested.

      Markus
    • Choronzey, Marc
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 24, 2003
        Konnichiwa!

        I am very interested in seeing pictures of your armour!!!

        -Shisen.

        -Marc Choronzey CSSR /
        Groupe Support, BMC Montr'al
        Page : 514 4140907
        Cell : 514 9174764

      • Choronzey, Marc
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 24, 2003
          Domo arigato gozaimashita!!!!!
          -Shisen.

          -Marc Choronzey CSSR /
          Groupe Support, BMC Montr'al
          Page : 514 4140907
          Cell : 514 9174764

        • Markus Breier
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 24, 2003

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 26, 2003
              Markus Breier wrote:

              > And here comes my question: Effingham mentions two plates, called
              > ategane which should support the mazibashi. I can't imagine how they
              > are formed and attached. Can anybody help me? It would be very nice.

              They're basically egg-shaped, or generally oblong. I've got a picture of a
              helmet here with the lining out, so you can see the ategane. I'll clean off the
              scanner and post an image of it in the photos section in an hour or so.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 26, 2003
                Markus Breier wrote:

                > I've uploaded them in the "Armour (Dress Larp)" Album. I also added
                > a picture of me in my hitatare kamishimo.

                Holy crap !

                Now *that's* what I call Japanese armour!

                Well done!!!

                Effingham
              • Markus Breier
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 28, 2003
                  Thanks a lot! For the picture, and for the praise.
                  It is really an honour to get that compliment from the master
                  himself.
                  Thanks to the picture I get the idea. But another question surfaced
                  about the lining of the helmet.
                  Should the rivets that hold the shikoro to the hachi and the ones
                  for the visor be behind the lining, or are the punched through the
                  fabric? If they are behind, I have to put in the lining after I
                  assembled the helmet, but how can I then sew the lining into place?
                  Maybe I missed something or got something wrong, but the pictures
                  look like there's a solution to the problem. Only I don't know it....

                  Markus

                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
                  wrote:

                  > Holy crap !
                  >
                  > Now *that's* what I call Japanese armour!
                  >
                  > Well done!!!
                  >
                  > Effingham
                • Choronzey, Marc
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 28, 2003
                    My sentiments EXACTLY!

                    WOW! Great Job!!! Even if it's for LARPs, I hope mine looks half as
                    nice!!!!!

                    Cheers!

                    -Marc Choronzey CSSR /
                    Groupe Support, BMC Montr'al
                    Page : 514 4140907
                    Cell : 514 9174764

                  • michael A
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 28, 2003
                      now when effingham goes holy crap after looking at
                      your armor..... i had to stop and look at the armor as
                      well

                      . WOW!!! well done. It looks absolutly amazing.
                      I wished my own suit looked even close to that.Perhaps
                      ill have to un backburner a few projects.

                      Congrats!!
                      --kiyohara Matsugu yoshiaki
                      Shire of vanished wood
                      midlands
                      midrealm

                      > Markus Breier wrote:
                      >
                      > > I've uploaded them in the "Armour (Dress Larp)"
                      > Album. I also added
                      > > a picture of me in my hitatare kamishimo.
                      > >

                      > Holy crap !
                      >
                      > Now *that's* what I call Japanese armour!
                      >
                      > Well done!!!
                      >
                      > Effingham

                      http://search.yahoo.com
                    • Ii Saburou
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 28, 2003
                        My sentiments exactly. I don't know what to say. I look at what I've got
                        and am almost embarrased to field such a thing. That is some nice work!

                        -Ii

                        On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, michael A wrote:

                        > now when effingham goes holy crap after looking at
                        > your armor..... i had to stop and look at the armor as
                        > well
                        >
                        > . WOW!!! well done. It looks absolutly amazing.
                        > I wished my own suit looked even close to that.Perhaps
                        > ill have to un backburner a few projects.
                        >
                        > Congrats!!
                        > --kiyohara Matsugu yoshiaki
                        > Shire of vanished wood
                        > midlands
                        > midrealm
                        >

                        > --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> wrote:
                        > > Markus Breier wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I've uploaded them in the "Armour (Dress Larp)"
                        > > Album. I also added
                        > > > a picture of me in my hitatare kamishimo.
                        > > >

                        > > Holy crap !
                        > >
                        > > Now *that's* what I call Japanese armour!
                        > >
                        > > Well done!!!
                        > >
                        > > Effingham

                      • Markus Breier
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 30, 2003
                          Thanks for all the praise. I'm happy that you find it that good, I'm
                          really proud. Altough there are some minor errors, especially near
                          the hinge(when punching the lacing holes, I didn't consider the
                          thickness of the braid, so the lacing doesn't run exactly vertical),
                          which don't show on the photos.

                          When the kabuto is finished, I'll post some pictures (I just
                          finished riveting the hachi-plates).
                          Hope it gets as good as (or better than) the rest of the armour.

                          Markus