RE: [SCA-JML] Re: OT: Travelling to Tokyo

  • Steve Gill
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
      makiwara_no_yetsuko [mailto:makiwara_no_yetsuko@...] wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Benton" <spearweasel@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Unlike some cultures, this won't be a problem. In my experiences in
      > > Japan, I found that the Japanese invariably were quite pleased that
      > > you were trying at all.
      >
      > I spent a week in Paris in the late 80s, having spent the previous
      > few weeks listening to basic conversational French tapes during my
      > commute. The famously rude Parisians weren't. Be polite and people
      > will be polite back.

      The French (and especially Parisians) are indeed famous for being rude, but
      if you are willing to try speak their language they tend to become more than
      helpful.

      Seems to be a good rule of thumb that everyone becomes more friendly with
      foreigners if they try to fit in.

      ---
      Steve Gill
      Steve@...
      http://www.caws.demon.co.uk/
      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lion_azure/

      This message has been checked for all known viruses by Norton AntiVirus
      2002.