Re: [SCA-JML] Re: battlefield fabric enclosures

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 14, 2003
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! I am most definitely not going by relative size
      in pictures. I do think that the number of people depicted as being in
      them is somewhat indicative of actual size.

      >the sizes they needed to be to fit into the pictures. There are scenes
      >of rows of nobles seated in one. If the drawing is accurate, that's two
      >rows of seven nobles seated in court garb.

      That is the sort of description that I am interested in. Most of the
      pictures I have seen of akunoya show the occupants wearing hunting
      robes which is rather different than the sort of clothing worn by
      the emperor or the sort of clothing worn by the guard units. Having
      been packed into a variety of modest sized rooms in Japan, I expect
      the depth to be no more than about two meters and quite possibly somewhat
      shallower. Seven people along the length can give a range of lengths
      depending on crowding. If people are modestly cozy, you can cram all
      seven into a six meter length. I am not advocating this as the size
      for an akunoya as I believe that this estimated would be understating
      the actual size.

      >If we assume a minimum of
      >four feet square to allow for clothing to spread and for "personal
      >space," that means the akunoya in that particular picture is at least 8'
      >wide and 28' long. There is also mention in the Heike Monogatari (in
      >scroll 10, I believe) of someone setting up an akunoya "5-jô long" in a
      >courtyard. That's a 50' long pavilion. I have no idea how wide it was,
      >though, but I doubt it was less than 8', and more likely 10 or 12.

      That is a relativey huge akunoya. Most akunoya shown in pictures are
      clearly smaller than that even allowing for distortions of relative
      size. There are of course depictions of relatively long garden buildings
      and similar structures, but I doubt that structures of this maginitude
      are appropriate for the limited occupany most likely under consideration.

      >Would you rather see an akunoya that may be a bit larger than the norm
      >in a Japanese encampment, or a "yurt" in a Japanese encampment? How
      >about a nylon dome tent? Or one of those Pennsic rental tents?

      Since I am guilty of living in a 3 man summit tent, I am not trying to
      disuade people from making akunoya. I think that they are great. The
      problem that I see is that people look like they are rappidly evolving
      an idesa for a generic SCA pseudo-akunoya. Further, I do believe that
      people underestimate the properties of traditional building materials.
      Often modern materials are used in commercial structures, because they
      are significantly cheaper in industrial quantitites. However, our
      stuff is seldom mass-produced and we do not have the same sort of
      economy of scale considerations as do the carport manufacturers. Maybe
      someone should try to persuade Panther Primitives to make akunoya?

      Using a more recent example. Conisder the wooden folding chairs in
      the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" Those chairs are actually
      more comfortable than most folding chairs sold today and just as
      sturdy. However, they are significantly more expensive to mass produce
      and are most likely totally unobtainable at this point.

    • Solveig
      Message 49 of 49 , Apr 14, 2003