RE: [SCA-JML] Re: battlefield fabric enclosures

  • Choronzey, Marc
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 9 11:56 AM
      Personally, I think that sometimes the group is a bit to much scA.... Our
      people do our very best to avoid any and all anachronisms while staying
      Creative about it... Yet, and that might be me alone here but, when I see
      Adidas(tm) white trainers, Timex(tm) watches and Rayban(tm) glasses on
      "recreation" pictures, it really hurts my eyes and historian's pride. So
      come that point, carport tubing is a LESSER evil, no?

      Just my offhand comment.
      -Shisen.

      -Marc Choronzey CSSR /
      Groupe Support, BMC Montr'al
      Page : 514 4140907
      Cell : 514 9174764

    • Solveig
      Message 49 of 49 , Apr 14 10:30 PM
        Baron Edward!

        Greetings from Solveig! I am most definitely not going by relative size
        in pictures. I do think that the number of people depicted as being in
        them is somewhat indicative of actual size.

        >the sizes they needed to be to fit into the pictures. There are scenes
        >of rows of nobles seated in one. If the drawing is accurate, that's two
        >rows of seven nobles seated in court garb.

        That is the sort of description that I am interested in. Most of the
        pictures I have seen of akunoya show the occupants wearing hunting
        robes which is rather different than the sort of clothing worn by
        the emperor or the sort of clothing worn by the guard units. Having
        been packed into a variety of modest sized rooms in Japan, I expect
        the depth to be no more than about two meters and quite possibly somewhat
        shallower. Seven people along the length can give a range of lengths
        depending on crowding. If people are modestly cozy, you can cram all
        seven into a six meter length. I am not advocating this as the size
        for an akunoya as I believe that this estimated would be understating
        the actual size.

        >If we assume a minimum of
        >four feet square to allow for clothing to spread and for "personal
        >space," that means the akunoya in that particular picture is at least 8'
        >wide and 28' long. There is also mention in the Heike Monogatari (in
        >scroll 10, I believe) of someone setting up an akunoya "5-jô long" in a
        >courtyard. That's a 50' long pavilion. I have no idea how wide it was,
        >though, but I doubt it was less than 8', and more likely 10 or 12.

        That is a relativey huge akunoya. Most akunoya shown in pictures are
        clearly smaller than that even allowing for distortions of relative
        size. There are of course depictions of relatively long garden buildings
        and similar structures, but I doubt that structures of this maginitude
        are appropriate for the limited occupany most likely under consideration.

        >Would you rather see an akunoya that may be a bit larger than the norm
        >in a Japanese encampment, or a "yurt" in a Japanese encampment? How
        >about a nylon dome tent? Or one of those Pennsic rental tents?

        Since I am guilty of living in a 3 man summit tent, I am not trying to
        disuade people from making akunoya. I think that they are great. The
        problem that I see is that people look like they are rappidly evolving
        an idesa for a generic SCA pseudo-akunoya. Further, I do believe that
        people underestimate the properties of traditional building materials.
        Often modern materials are used in commercial structures, because they
        are significantly cheaper in industrial quantitites. However, our
        stuff is seldom mass-produced and we do not have the same sort of
        economy of scale considerations as do the carport manufacturers. Maybe
        someone should try to persuade Panther Primitives to make akunoya?

        Using a more recent example. Conisder the wooden folding chairs in
        the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" Those chairs are actually
        more comfortable than most folding chairs sold today and just as
        sturdy. However, they are significantly more expensive to mass produce
        and are most likely totally unobtainable at this point.