Japanese wedding customs question

  • ELAINE KOOGLER
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      Good gentles,
      I have just acquired a set of Japanese wedding cups from e-Bay. They
      purport to be old, and are of red lacquer.

      My (European) lord and I are planning a handfasting at Pennsic this
      year, and wish to include a small Japanese portion in the ceremony. I
      have been given to understand that there is a ceremony (can't fully
      remember the name...San san ????), Shinto in origin, that involved
      drinking sake from the set of three graduated cups. Can anyone tell me
      if this is a period custom? Also, it would be great if I could get
      more details on just what the ceremony involves.

      What we're having is a pagan handfasting, done by a good friend who is
      experienced in such things...and I'm hoping to add this small Shinto
      part to the proceedings.

      Thanks for your help!

      Kiri