Re: Squire ceremony

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003

      > Every time I start to wonder about my choice of a
      > Japanese persona someone goes and says saomething to
      > remind me what it's really all about. A contract like
      > that would be every bit a iron-clad as a spit-shake
      > where I grew up. Some oaths are just too obvious and
      > indusputable to need words :-)
      >
      > Paul

      Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
      I find it ironic that a spit handshake would be considered vile in
      period Japanese society...They were such clean people...
      People who do not touch in puplic have interesting ways of sealing
      bargains...

      -Date

      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
      http://www.kabutographics.com
      kabuto@...
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
        public...gomen - minorly dyslexic...
        Date
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003

          Greetings from Solveig! It depends upon how you view the relationship.
          If you are simply contracting with him for instruction, then you can
          simply be introduced by an intermediary, give your background in which
          you of course state that you are unskilled and unworthy, and ask him to
          teach you. You offer him a present which is money wrapped in paper and
          placed on some sort of tray. The knight gives you a present back. This
          is pretty standard acquiring a teacher ritual.

          If you are entering employment and the knights household, then the knight
          is obliged to clothe you. The knight should therefore give you a set of
          livery or sufficient cloth in the appropriate colors of the household
          for you to make livery for yourself. And, no, a red belt is not enough.
          If this scenario, you do not offer payment. However, you still exchange
          gifts twice a year.

          Finally, it is rude to directly discuss payment. The knight can of course
          be generous and grant you shiki rights stated in koku.

          The knight may invite you to a sake ceremony. Since the knight is the
          superior and you are entering the knights house, the knight must play
          the role of host not guest.

        • Zach Schneider
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
            The only bad thing about the given scenarios is that he is a viking. He does like to have sake and all, it's just I usually end up being the host, or at least the provider of the sake ;) If I am entering his employment/service and he gives me the cloth to make something that represents his household, what do I offer him?
            Yoshida Takezo Hidesada

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003

              Greetings from Solveig! He could serve you mead. As for an exchange present.
              You give him some token of your home town. The big time gift giving is
              in mid-Summer and mid-Winter when the vassals can be expected to chip in
              for a gift. Think of it as taxes. Today, teachers are given sums of money.
              The amount of the gift is equal to a months tuition. So actual tuition is
              14 months per year. The teacher then gives to the students an article used
              in the art being studied. These exchanges are pretty much obligatory.