Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Squire ceremony

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2003
      "While some may think this next distasteful, there has
      been some historical mention of bargains being sealed
      by warriors with a merging of their urine stream over
      the edge of a castle rampart or the edge of a wall.."

      Every time I start to wonder about my choice of a
      Japanese persona someone goes and says saomething to
      remind me what it's really all about. A contract like
      that would be every bit a iron-clad as a spit-shake
      where I grew up. Some oaths are just too obvious and
      indusputable to need words :-)

      Paul
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003

        > Every time I start to wonder about my choice of a
        > Japanese persona someone goes and says saomething to
        > remind me what it's really all about. A contract like
        > that would be every bit a iron-clad as a spit-shake
        > where I grew up. Some oaths are just too obvious and
        > indusputable to need words :-)
        >
        > Paul

        Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
        I find it ironic that a spit handshake would be considered vile in
        period Japanese society...They were such clean people...
        People who do not touch in puplic have interesting ways of sealing
        bargains...

        -Date

        Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
        http://www.kabutographics.com
        kabuto@...
      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
          public...gomen - minorly dyslexic...
          Date
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003

            Greetings from Solveig! It depends upon how you view the relationship.
            If you are simply contracting with him for instruction, then you can
            simply be introduced by an intermediary, give your background in which
            you of course state that you are unskilled and unworthy, and ask him to
            teach you. You offer him a present which is money wrapped in paper and
            placed on some sort of tray. The knight gives you a present back. This
            is pretty standard acquiring a teacher ritual.

            If you are entering employment and the knights household, then the knight
            is obliged to clothe you. The knight should therefore give you a set of
            livery or sufficient cloth in the appropriate colors of the household
            for you to make livery for yourself. And, no, a red belt is not enough.
            If this scenario, you do not offer payment. However, you still exchange
            gifts twice a year.

            Finally, it is rude to directly discuss payment. The knight can of course
            be generous and grant you shiki rights stated in koku.

            The knight may invite you to a sake ceremony. Since the knight is the
            superior and you are entering the knights house, the knight must play
            the role of host not guest.

          • Zach Schneider
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
              The only bad thing about the given scenarios is that he is a viking. He does like to have sake and all, it's just I usually end up being the host, or at least the provider of the sake ;) If I am entering his employment/service and he gives me the cloth to make something that represents his household, what do I offer him?
              Yoshida Takezo Hidesada

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003

                Greetings from Solveig! He could serve you mead. As for an exchange present.
                You give him some token of your home town. The big time gift giving is
                in mid-Summer and mid-Winter when the vassals can be expected to chip in
                for a gift. Think of it as taxes. Today, teachers are given sums of money.
                The amount of the gift is equal to a months tuition. So actual tuition is
                14 months per year. The teacher then gives to the students an article used
                in the art being studied. These exchanges are pretty much obligatory.