Re: [SCA-JML] First Japanese encounters in the U.S.

  • Warrior_of_bushido
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2003
      That sounds like the one, i couldnt remember the exact details..
      txsamurai <txsamurai@...> wrote:I know that this is off-topic but since people were discussing about
      1860 pictures of Japanese in America, I thought I put in what I know.

      You are probably referring to the Kanrin-maru trip (1860). This the
      first Japanese expedition to America. The Kanrin Maru was manned by
      Japanese and served as the escort ship to the first Japanese
      delegation to the United States. The delegation sailed to Washington
      D.C. aboard the U.S.S. Powhatan, commanded by Commodore Josiah
      Tattnall (for part of the trip).

      The Japanese ambassadors, Shimmi Fusajiro Masaoki (Japanese chief
      ambassador) and Muragaki Yosaburo Norimasa (second ambassador),
      met the President on 3/17/1860.

      The delegation's trip was as follows:
      Yokohama
      Honolulu (met King Kamehameha and Queen Emma)
      San Francisco (3/29/1860)
      Panama (crossed the Isthmus by train)
      New York City.

      The Kanrin-maru trip was significant in two ways IMO. The captain was
      Katsu Kaishu who later became the founder of the Japanese navy. His
      navigator was John Manjiro, a Japanese educated in Fairehaven and
      New Bedford area (circa 1841) and whose assistance through the years
      helped Japan-U.S. relations.

      For what it's worth--Joseph Heco aka Hamada Hikozo (1837-1897) was
      another shipwrecked Japanese. He became the first Japanese to
      become a naturalized American and was involved to some extent on
      the American side of things during this time.