Let me do your homework about the early Japanese encounters

  • txsamurai
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2003
      Since I was asked, here is the pertinent information to start you on
      your research.

      Francis Xavier met a Portuguese-speaking samurai by the name of
      Yajiro or Anjiro in Malacca, Malaysia in 1547. It was Yajiro's
      recommendation that sent Francis Xavier to Japan.

      Bernardo was one of the earliest companions of Francis Xavier and
      accompanied him and Yajiro as they travelled throughout Japan.
      Bernardo was one of the companions that accompanied Xavier
      when he left Japan. When Francis Xavier died, Bernardo went to
      Europe.

      You can find many sites on the Internet (religious and government-
      sponsored) that will guide you to reference materials that may be
      acceptible for your needs.

      The citation of the Japanese settlement in Spain was a reference
      point. I have heard of many urban legends going around and this was
      mentioned to pinpoint the particulars of one of them and the date
      associated with it.