Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Tsukubai

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2003
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! A tsukubai is a rock with a water basin carved in
      the top. They sit in gardens. Water is delivered to the basin either
      through a bamboo pipe or by a bucket. When used in the tea ceremony, the
      guests stop at the basin and wash both hands and their mouths in a ritual
      manner before proceeding on to the tea room. Water is dipped from the basin
      using a bamboo/wooden dippern and used to rinse the hands. After the hands
      have been rinses, the mouth is rinsed as well. Finally, the water dipper
      itself is cleansed with water drainign down the handle.