What to go with Hakamas?

  • Amanita
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 14, 2003
      I got a huge piece of gold and blue brocade at my last SCA event,
      measuring 69x120".
      I can get a pair of Hakamas out of it, but will have a big piece left
      over, about 33x120. Now here's the rub- what to make out of it, to
      wear with the hakamas? I would like to do a hitatare jacket, if
      possible. If for whatever reason, that does not work out, what would
      you guys suggest? For the record, my persona is late Momoyama period,
      1570+. A kataginu, perhaps? Or maybe a Jinbaori? Yeah, I know they
      weren't worn everyday, but I still want one.
    • Choronzey, Marc
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 14, 2003
        A matching kataginu would look nice... have you thought of making gaters?
        (kyahan)

        -Shisen.

        -Marc Choronzey CSSR /
        Groupe Support, BMC Montr'al
        514.420.7888 poste 8533
        Page : 514 4140907
        Cell : 514 9174764

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 14, 2003
          Amanita wrote:

          > I got a huge piece of gold and blue brocade at my last SCA event,
          > measuring 69x120".
          > I can get a pair of Hakamas out of it, but will have a big piece left
          > over, about 33x120. Now here's the rub- what to make out of it, to
          > wear with the hakamas? I would like to do a hitatare jacket, if
          > possible. If for whatever reason, that does not work out, what would
          > you guys suggest? For the record, my persona is late Momoyama period,
          > 1570+. A kataginu, perhaps? Or maybe a Jinbaori? Yeah, I know they
          > weren't worn everyday, but I still want one.

          It depends on your persona, and how you like to dress, but you *should* have
          either a hitatare or a kariginu. If you can get both from the fabric, cool.
          More options. <G>

          Effingham
          ---------------------
          show your sentiments: just say "non"
          http://www.cafeshops.com/justsaynon
        • Richard Brooks
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 14, 2003

            > It depends on your persona, and how you like to dress, but you
            > *should* have
            > either a hitatare or a kariginu. If you can get both from the fabric,
            > cool.
            > More options. <G>

            My persona is a little bit odd..I'm a lady of samurai rank, sort of an
            earlier Tamoe Gozen. But I tend to wear masculine clothing. It's easier
            to get around in. I'm working on a few nice pieces, since I just love to
            wear brocade and other fancy stuff. Now, a karaginu is a tunic type
            garment, am I right? If I did a karaginu rather than kataginu, I'm
            thinking I might do it out of straight blue fabric, to match the blue in
            my hakamas. Now, I'm not sure if I can get a hitatare AND a momoyama
            kataginu out of that fabric, but I will try to figure it out. I can use
            the measurements for the yoroi hitatare featured on your website, I take
            it? Now I just have to figure out how to line the thing:)

            -Hirokawa no Tsuru
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 14, 2003
              Richard Brooks wrote:

              > > It depends on your persona, and how you like to dress, but you
              > > *should* have
              > > either a hitatare or a kariginu. If you can get both from the fabric,
              > > cool.
              > > More options. <G>
              > >

              > My persona is a little bit odd..I'm a lady of samurai rank, sort of an
              > earlier Tamoe Gozen. But I tend to wear masculine clothing. It's easier
              > to get around in. I'm working on a few nice pieces, since I just love to
              > wear brocade and other fancy stuff. Now, a karaginu is a tunic type
              > garment, am I right? If I did a karaginu rather than kataginu, I'm
              > thinking I might do it out of straight blue fabric, to match the blue in
              > my hakamas. Now, I'm not sure if I can get a hitatare AND a momoyama
              > kataginu out of that fabric, but I will try to figure it out. I can use
              > the measurements for the yoroi hitatare featured on your website, I take
              > it? Now I just have to figure out how to line the thing:)

              Gark!

              I had a brainzonk. I *did* mean kataginu. Don't know where my mind was...

              Effingham
            • arilusstyx
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 15, 2003
                I never know what's more fun, the actual sewing or the color-
                coordinating that comes BEFORE sewing.

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Richard Brooks <rjb@n...> wrote:

                > > It depends on your persona, and how you like to dress, but you
                > > *should* have
                > > either a hitatare or a kariginu. If you can get both from the
                fabric,
                > > cool.
                > > More options. <G>
                > >

                > My persona is a little bit odd..I'm a lady of samurai rank, sort of
                an
                > earlier Tamoe Gozen. But I tend to wear masculine clothing. It's
                easier
                > to get around in. I'm working on a few nice pieces, since I just
                love to
                > wear brocade and other fancy stuff. Now, a karaginu is a tunic type
                > garment, am I right? If I did a karaginu rather than kataginu, I'm
                > thinking I might do it out of straight blue fabric, to match the
                blue in
                > my hakamas. Now, I'm not sure if I can get a hitatare AND a momoyama
                > kataginu out of that fabric, but I will try to figure it out. I can
                use
                > the measurements for the yoroi hitatare featured on your website, I
                take
                > it? Now I just have to figure out how to line the thing:)
                >
                > -Hirokawa no Tsuru
              • Ii Saburou
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 16, 2003
                  On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Richard Brooks wrote:

                  > > It depends on your persona, and how you like to dress, but you
                  > > *should* have
                  > > either a hitatare or a kariginu. If you can get both from the fabric,
                  > > cool.
                  > > More options. <G>
                  > >

                  > My persona is a little bit odd..I'm a lady of samurai rank, sort of an
                  > earlier Tamoe Gozen. But I tend to wear masculine clothing. It's easier
                  > to get around in. I'm working on a few nice pieces, since I just love to
                  > wear brocade and other fancy stuff. Now, a karaginu is a tunic type
                  > garment, am I right? If I did a karaginu rather than kataginu, I'm
                  > thinking I might do it out of straight blue fabric, to match the blue in
                  > my hakamas. Now, I'm not sure if I can get a hitatare AND a momoyama
                  > kataginu out of that fabric, but I will try to figure it out. I can use
                  > the measurements for the yoroi hitatare featured on your website, I take
                  > it? Now I just have to figure out how to line the thing:)

                  For lining, you can get some nice silk from www.silkconnection.com and
                  look into their acid dyes to dye it. Either a habotai or a satin of some
                  kind would probably line it beautifully, and shouldn't cost too much
                  money. Organza might work--I've not tried to line anything but organza
                  with organza--and it might have a bit more body to it.

                  The hitatare files are also in the 'files' section of the Yahoo! groups
                  page, if you need them. There are a few numbers that might not be
                  clear--I believe there was an explanation of them in the archives, or else
                  ask and we can try to pry a second explanation out of Hiraizumi-sensei.

                  -Ii

                  PS: Be careful of 'karaginu' vs. 'kariginu'. It is a very easy mistake to
                  make but 'kariginu' is the 'hunting outfit' of the Heian period with the
                  loosely attached sleeves. 'Karaginu' is a brief 'Chinese clothing'
                  layer for formal women's sokutai. Hiraizumi-dono has already explained
                  the 'kataginu' vs. 'karignu' mistake, also.
                • d.w. peters
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
                    I have a set of Japanese armour made for SCA use up
                    for sale. If you are interested please send me an
                    email (dwpeters@...) and I will get pictures
                    sent out. If there is enough interest I will post the
                    pics (or a link to them) on the list.

                    Domo

                    http://webhosting.yahoo.com
                  • Richard Brooks
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
                      I would love to see some pics of this thing..sounds cool:)
                      -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                      "d.w. peters" wrote:

                      > I have a set of Japanese armour made for SCA use up
                      > for sale. If you are interested please send me an
                      > email (dwpeters@...) and I will get pictures
                      > sent out. If there is enough interest I will post the
                      > pics (or a link to them) on the list.
                      >
                      > Domo

                      > http://webhosting.yahoo.com
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Chris Vapenik
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
                        how much would you want for it?? and could I see pictures...
                        thank you...
                        Chris
                        "d.w. peters" <the_damn_dane@...> wrote:I have a set of Japanese armour made for SCA use up

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 25, 2003
                          Sure, pics are here:

                          http://www.19sixty9.com/j-armour/

                          http://platinum.yahoo.com
                        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 26, 2003
                            Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
                            In light of many of the e-groups and e-arguments about kydex as a
                            suitable material for japanese kit, I thought I would post some of
                            what I have been working on. I have created a new folder in the photos
                            section called "Kydex Oyoroi."
                            It is a hybrid armor, mostly of kydex laced in kebiki style, with
                            steel shoulders (to better get the shape right...) It is a work in
                            progress, but I like how it is coming.
                            I will upload mor pics into the folder soon.
                            Date

                            Yama Kaminari no Dtae Saburou Yukiie
                            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
                            http://www.kabutographics.com
                            kabuto@...
                          • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie