Re: [SCA-JML] More questions...

  • Chris Vapenik
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 11, 2003
      Maybe it is my misunderstanding, but I'm not sure if this is true to the idea of my original question... I wanted to develop a persona that was of the bushi class, but who wasn't a yet a ranking officer. one who ( as Ii Dono was so helpful as to suggest) was trying to make a name for himself. It is my understanding that later in the Momoyama Period (my chosen period) they had the "sword hunt" and peasants were not able to bear arms. I don't think that I necessarily want to be a peasant, however I had mentioned that I didn't think that one in such a situation would have a "nice" set of clothes, or an elaborate name. so I was wondering could help me find patterns for something that a "not so well off" bushi would wear, and any suggestions on how to look for a name.
      I appoligise for the confusion...
      - Chris
      "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> wrote: Ii Saburou wrote:

      > Really? Okay, I stand corrected on the names--I had been misinformed. I
      > really don't have the best name sources, unfortunately.

      The timing on this is fortuitous...

      Just the other day I ran across a copy I had of an Ikki myouchou -- basically, a
      signed pledge by a bunch of folks forming an ikki. There are appended to the short
      document some 150 names, 53 of them belonging to women.

      They're all commoners, too-- not a samurai in the bunch (though there are a couple
      of monks joining in).

      It's a fascinating study of literacy (of the 53 female signatures, for example,
      only four have kanji in them; about half of the male names do. (Even a name like
      "Mataroku" -- "sixth son of a sixth son" is written in katakana rather than kanji.
      "Mata" is only two strokes, and "roku" is only a number!) I plan to have a basic
      analysis done of the names tonight, and when I have it done, I'll post the list and
      findings in the files section.

      > I was, however, under the impression that peasants did not have actual
      > 'family names' until Meiji, when they took on names from the various
      > families in Japan. Prior to this, if you had two people, you need someway
      > of identifying them, and so I was under the impression they would be known
      > by some kind of descriptor.

      What you would likely have for commoners (at least those that are stationary) are
      occupational or descriptives. Typically, they had an occupational term tacked on
      (e.g., "John [the] Grocer" or "Yaoya no Mataichi") or so on. As a descriptive, you
      have things like Charles the Fat (e.g., Nossori Saburou -- "Plodding Saburou").
      Note that the appositive adjective comes *before* the name.

      When everyone is in the same town, a "So-and-so of Suchaplace" name is meaningless
      -- especially as one doesn't usually travel. If one were to travel, of course, all
      bets would be off.

      I notice that commoner's names make much more (read: almost exclusive) use of
      zokumyou, and not nanori.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Do you Yahoo!?