Re: [SCA-JML] Seperate questions about armour

  • Donald J. Luby
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
      On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 06:53 AM, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

      > "Donald J. Luby" wrote:
      >

      >> While I agree that it might make your armor a *little* thick, the
      >> experience I've had with ABS is that anything thinner than 1/4" cracks
      >> and breaks very easily were you've got lots of holes close to each
      >> other and near the edge of the plates, especially where you have a lot
      >> of rigid surfaces coming together regularly (both issues as you would
      >> with kozane); the sode on mine broke into pieces very easily (and not
      >> even much in combat, mostly in transport), and those were fairly large
      >> pieces made of 1/4" - the 3/8" ABS holds up very well though. I'll
      >> admit that with several overlapping layers you might be able to get
      >> away with thinner plastic, but if it were me, I'd prefer having
      >> slightly heavier armor, that didn't break up into lots of little
      >> pieces, than one I had to take apart and waste lots of man-hours (not
      >> to mention materials cost) after a short lifetime.
      >>

      > I think this depends also on exactly *which* plastic is used. I'm
      > thinking
      > of stuff that has a bit more flex to it than being brittle and solid.
      > The
      > kydex samples I've played with exhibit the amount of flexibility that I
      > think would be preferable.

      It's true - Kydex may, in fact, be much better. And for this context,
      Kydex being 50% more expensive per area of equal-thickness plastic may
      save you money in the end, if you can use Kydex that's half the
      thickness of ABS.

      > I'm currently trying to find someone who can produce a punch that would
      > allow for the mass-production of kozane -- like the folks at Noble
      > Plastic
      > used to make their scales.
      >
      > If I can do that, I think we could do a lot by having people actually
      > have
      > access to good, functional kozane.

      That would be excellent! Please keep us informed as to your success.
      We thought we might have something for a while (one of the knights in
      the area had a contact at an injection-molding place, and would do hire
      work), but I think it feel through because of the initial costs
      involved (I think making the dies involved ran in the $200 range).
      Maybe when I see him next week, I'll ask - it may still be a
      possibility, and economically feasible if we have enough interest.

      > Effingham

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Sir Koredono

      -------