Choosing a Mon

  • Thaddeus <thaddeusgmoore@cox.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2003
      My college library had a copy of "Japanese Design Motifs" Translated
      by Fumie Adachi. Amazon link below:

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486228746/qid=1046400339/sr=2
      -1/ref=sr_2_1/002-4095857-2608835

      Which is a very cool book full of black and white Mons compiled in
      1913. It is all in Japanese which I cannot read (except some limited
      Kanji). There are translations in the front which tell you symbols
      name (example: Kikyo = "Ballonflower) its name in English and what
      it is. But not what family it belongs too. Next to each Mon are
      Japanese characters what do they say?

      Is it exceptable for me to choose a mon that I like and use it?
      Basically to me that seems like stealing someones personal family
      mon. Or lets say its ok to do that. And I create a persona name
      which I am now attaching to the wrong Familes mon. Opinions? Answers?

      My loyality is my honor.

      Thaddeus G. Moore
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2003

        Regarding the following book:

        >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486228746/qid=1046400339/sr=2
        >-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-4095857-2608835

        This is the Japanese equivalent of those "your family's arms" booths
        that sometimes show up at shopping malls. During the Meiji period,
        everyone in Japan was given permission to have kamon, so everyone
        rushed out and got one.

      • Thaddeus <thaddeusgmoore@cox.net>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2003
          Does that mean it is ok to choose a mon of my liking? Will I be able
          to register it down the road?

          My loyality is my honor.

          Thaddeus G. Moore

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          > Regarding the following book:
          >

          >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486228746/qid=1046400339/sr=
          2
          > >-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-4095857-2608835
          >
          > This is the Japanese equivalent of those "your family's arms"
          booths
          > that sometimes show up at shopping malls. During the Meiji period,
          > everyone in Japan was given permission to have kamon, so everyone
          > rushed out and got one. ----cut----
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003

            Greetings from Solveig! The College of Arms makes registering Japanese
            armoury rather difficult. However, you can register kamon for yourself
            if you can follow their Anglo-French centric rules.

            The book that you have been looking at is NOT a good source for designing
            pre-1601 Japanese heraldry. However, you can use it if you follow a few
            simple rules:

            1. Do not put acircle or other border around your design.
            These were rare prior to 1601.

            2. Do use a single unified design which can be repeated.
            Ther are a few other unified design possibilities such
            as two different types of arrow in saltire, an ox cart
            wheel issuing from water, a mountain issuing from
            clouds, &c. The idea is of a single unified design. If
            the design is complex, then it should not be repeated.
            If it is simple (e.g., a coin) then it can be repeated.

            3. Here is a controversial rule. You do not have to limit
            yourself to a single tincture if what you are interested
            in recreating is battle flags. Since battle flag useage
            is closest to what armoury is in the West, this is appropriate
            for registering primary armoury. If you go for a mutli-tincture
            design, restrict yourself to 3 tinctures including the background.
            If you wish to follow SCA badge style, then you should restrict
            yourself to one tincture exclusive of the background.

          • Marc Choronzey
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
              Konbanwa Solveig-hime,

              Would this, then, be somewhat acceptable as a personal kamon?

              Lest the shape of the shield, of course, coming from our shire page. The
              field is shapeless and argent...

              Domo for any feedback,

              -Shisen.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003

                Greetings from Solveig! There was no picture or URL or desciption
                in your message when it arrived.