Fighting footwear

  • Thaddeus <thaddeusgmoore@cox.net>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2003
      Thank you for all the support I have gotten thus far from the group
      you guys are great. Since I have ordered my lacing and plastic and
      have gotten a bunch of books from the library on armor. I am in a
      holding pattern untill the supplies get here. Which moves me to the
      question of footwear.

      I think we are all guility of wearing modern footwear at events. I
      know I personally fight in all leather combat boots. And I wear
      generic modern leather sandals or ugz boots in garb. Since I already
      have a rig I am taking my time with my Japanese persona and would
      like to correct these little details that irk me.

      My totally undeveloped persona will be Probally either Muromachi
      Period (1333-1568) or Azuchi-Momoyama period (1568-1600). This gives
      me the most armor choices I feel. To my untrained eye it looks like
      just about everyone in Japan wore waraji (or rice straw sandals)
      with tabi socks. Including fulled armored Samurai. From what I have
      read these fall apart in 4 - 5 days. I don't even want to think
      about what happens when the get wet. To make matter worst they are
      very expensive (see links) and have to be imported from Japan.

      http://www.e-budostore.com/accessory.htm -$55.00 to $60.00 plus
      shipping with tabi socks

      http://japanhandicrafts.com/eng/cloth/w6060.html A steal at 1200 Yen
      (but look at the shipping costs!)

      Here is a excellent source of Ancient Japanese footwear:

      http://www.jinjapan.org/nipponia/nipponia21/en/topic/index02.html

      So my question is:
      What is the solution to the footwear problem while fighting? The
      only suggestion I have heared is Tsuranuki (furry boots Bearskin?)
      covers for modern footwear. My idea is reinforcing the tabi
      workboots (like the ones Japanese construction workers wear) with
      hard plastic over the toe area. And not wearing the waraji (if they
      are going to fall apart)

      Garb wise what would be appropiate to wear. Esp at night so my feet
      don't freeze.

      My loyality is my honor.

      -Thaddeus G. Moore
    • Rick Howard
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2003
        Greetings!

        What you choose to fight in is somewhat dependent upon your kingdom of
        residence's regulations on footwear and your personal sense of safety as
        well as your personal preferences towards authenticity. Be sure to give both
        areas some thought when making your decision.

        I have been fighting in waraji and leather (deerskin) tabi for some years.
        The cost is not great as I weave and sew my own. I find them comfortable
        but, as you might imagine, they offer no ankle or arch support and they are
        decidedly *not* crush resistant (have a care if you find yourself in a hard
        press during a bridge battle). If you step in a puddle, you will get wet. If
        you step in mud, you will get dirty. If you are fighting on waxed gym floor,
        be ready to slide.

        As far as durability go, the elements, the terrain, and your activity level
        will determine how long a pair of waraji or tabi will last. I went through a
        pair of waraji in three days this past Estrella War but have managed to a
        week of Pennsic and beyond in another. They can be cheap to make and can be
        made while sitting around the campfire and discussing the day's battles.

        Yoshimitsu

        Akitsuki Yoshimitsu
        "Wealth and rank are like the clouds, I do not wish for such transient
        things."
        Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir

        > holding pattern untill the supplies get here. Which moves me to the
        > question of footwear.
        >
        > I think we are all guility of wearing modern footwear at events. I
        > know I personally fight in all leather combat boots. And I wear
        > generic modern leather sandals or ugz boots in garb. Since I already
        > have a rig I am taking my time with my Japanese persona and would
        > like to correct these little details that irk me.
        >
        > My totally undeveloped persona will be Probally either Muromachi
        > Period (1333-1568) or Azuchi-Momoyama period (1568-1600). This gives
        > me the most armor choices I feel. To my untrained eye it looks like
        > just about everyone in Japan wore waraji (or rice straw sandals)
        > with tabi socks. Including fulled armored Samurai. From what I have
        > read these fall apart in 4 - 5 days. I don't even want to think
        > about what happens when the get wet. To make matter worst they are
        > very expensive (see links) and have to be imported from Japan.
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2003
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig! You could learn to make your own waraji. You could
          even visit Ogi on Sado Island for that purpose. You could also meet Kodo
          people while you were there. Basically, about all you need to do is meet
          a farmer who is into mingei. There are a lot of them.

        • Lone Wolf
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2003
            Hello

            I am Lady Yukio in the Outlands. I am fairly new to this board, and have been lurking of late, watching the board, however, I was curious if anyone has a pattern on making tabi boots?

            -Y

          • Thaddeus <thaddeusgmoore@cox.net>
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2003
              Since I probally will not be making it to Sado island in the near
              future due to financial constrains I was wondering if anyone had
              directions on how to make waraji. A 1/2 hour of google searching
              turned up several broken links and teaser info on a class that
              occured at Estrella XV in 1998. I am willing to try fighting in tabi
              socks and sandals.

              My loyality is my honor.

              Thaddeus G. Moore

              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! You could learn to make your own waraji.
              You could
              > even visit Ogi on Sado Island for that purpose. You could also
              meet Kodo
              > people while you were there. ----cut----
            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
                I had a document put in the 'files' section of the Yahoo!Groups page, you
                may want to look at that.

                -Ii

                On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Thaddeus <thaddeusgmoore@...> wrote:

                > Since I probally will not be making it to Sado island in the near
                > future due to financial constrains I was wondering if anyone had
                > directions on how to make waraji. A 1/2 hour of google searching
                > turned up several broken links and teaser info on a class that
                > occured at Estrella XV in 1998. I am willing to try fighting in tabi
                > socks and sandals.
                >
                > My loyality is my honor.
                >
                > Thaddeus G. Moore
                >

                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                > > Noble Cousin!
                > >
                > > Greetings from Solveig! You could learn to make your own waraji.
                > You could
                > > even visit Ogi on Sado Island for that purpose. You could also
                > meet Kodo
                > > people while you were there. ----cut----

              • Paul Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2003
                  I looked at the instructions for making waraji in the
                  file area and at the pictures in some of the links
                  that were posted by the thread originator. I really
                  get the impression that making my own is the way to
                  go. Now the hard part: getting rice straw. Anybody
                  know an online source?

                  The irony is that I used to live in Northern
                  California right in the heart of a major rice-growing
                  region. Getting rid of the straw was a hassle for
                  them and they would have _loved_ it if I came and took
                  as much as I wanted. I don't think there's any rice
                  in my current home of Northern Virginia though :-(

                  Paul

                  --- Rick Howard <rhoward@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------
                  Greetings!

                  What you choose to fight in is somewhat dependent upon
                  your kingdom of
                  residence's regulations on footwear and your personal
                  sense of safety as
                  well as your personal preferences towards
                  authenticity. Be sure to give both
                  areas some thought when making your decision.

                  I have been fighting in waraji and leather (deerskin)
                  tabi for some years.
                  The cost is not great as I weave and sew my own. I
                  find them comfortable
                  but, as you might imagine, they offer no ankle or
                  arch support and they are
                  decidedly *not* crush resistant (have a care if you
                  find yourself in a hard
                  press during a bridge battle). If you step in a
                  puddle, you will get wet. If
                  you step in mud, you will get dirty. If you are
                  fighting on waxed gym floor,
                  be ready to slide.

                  As far as durability go, the elements, the terrain,
                  and your activity level
                  will determine how long a pair of waraji or tabi will
                  last. I went through a
                  pair of waraji in three days this past Estrella War
                  but have managed to a
                  week of Pennsic and beyond in another. They can be
                  cheap to make and can be
                  made while sitting around the campfire and discussing
                  the day's battles.

                  Yoshimitsu

                  Akitsuki Yoshimitsu
                  "Wealth and rank are like the clouds, I do not wish
                  for such transient
                  things."
                  Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir

                  > holding pattern untill the supplies get here. Which
                  moves me to the
                  > question of footwear.
                  >
                  > I think we are all guility of wearing modern
                  footwear at events. I
                  > know I personally fight in all leather combat boots.
                  And I wear
                  > generic modern leather sandals or ugz boots in garb.
                  Since I already
                  > have a rig I am taking my time with my Japanese
                  persona and would
                  > like to correct these little details that irk me.
                  >
                  > My totally undeveloped persona will be Probally
                  either Muromachi
                  > Period (1333-1568) or Azuchi-Momoyama period
                  (1568-1600). This gives
                  > me the most armor choices I feel. To my untrained
                  eye it looks like
                  > just about everyone in Japan wore waraji (or rice
                  straw sandals)
                  > with tabi socks. Including fulled armored Samurai.
                  From what I have
                  > read these fall apart in 4 - 5 days. I don't even
                  want to think
                  > about what happens when the get wet. To make matter
                  worst they are
                  > very expensive (see links) and have to be imported
                  from Japan.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  UNSUBSCRIBE: E-mail
                  sca-jml-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com