Re: [SCA-JML] fLOGGIN THE DEAD HORSE: NAMING

    Message 1 of 93 , Feb 27, 2003
      sean ibanez wrote:

      > PS: is it completely goofie using famous names, or am I in the right thinking that most everybody has done this since most of what's commonly available are the names of famous warriors?

      An interesting question. I think one would have to take into account the level of familiarity. There are only so many surnames (typically) to play with, so the chances are someone deep in the subject will pick up on it, while
      others might not even flinch at something as obscure <coughcough> as Ii.*

      Ditto first names. The more famous the person, the more likely people might have heard of his first name, though -- that is something to take into account. There must have been thousands of people named "Ieyasu" in Japanese
      history, but if you take that name, eyes will still roll. <shrug>

      It's your comfort level. I know people who would refuse to use a specific name if they find it in a history book. (The trouble is, *I* can find it in a book <G>)I also used to know someone who wanted to use "Toshiro Musashi" (yes,
      in that order). The fact that Toshiro Mifune is arguably the most well known actor of Japan (and samurai films) and played Miyamoto Musashi, arguably the most famous swordsman, didn't bother him a bit.

      Effingham
      *Just ribbing.... I am always surprised by people who don't know how to deal with Ii-dono's name, but I'm very familiar with the hanshuuke** of Hikone.

      **ruling family of the fief
    • sean ibanez
      Message 93 of 93 , Mar 9, 2003
        Wow, I'm almost a week behind in the e-mails. I've been at gallery 357 here in town setting up a warehouse for an art show that happened on friday. (tearing out old electrics, putting up new drywall, etc.) Funny thing is, I met someone down there who knows where to get the powdercoating done for pretty cheap ($50 for a chair sized sculpture) right after I emailed you about powdercoating. Another cool thing is that they have a masterblacksmith an two other welders on site. Good timing.
        Irobe Saburo Yoriie
        "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> wrote:sean ibanez wrote:

        > Um, I was with you up until <snip> spondoolicks <end-snip>. How does one go about powder coating metal?

        Actually, I don't do the powder-coating. I try to find a friendly auto-painting company. It has to do with lots of heat and very permanent coloration.

        Effingham
        (BTW, for the record, for those who don't know, spondoolicks = moolah, oof, greenbacks)

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT