Re: [SCA-JML] New to the list.

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26 3:19 AM
      On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Thaddeus <thaddeusgmoore@...> wrote:

      > I am new to the list and fairly new to the SCA. I am from San
      > Diego, CA (Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid). I have been fighting
      > 10 months and have attended 5 wars and several tourneys. I have had
      > a life long love affair with all things Japanese and have lived in
      > Japan in the past. Two Years while my father was stationed there in
      > the Navy, one year when I was stationed there as a US Marine.

      Welcome! You've been to a lot more in 10 months than most people I know!

      > The idea of a Japanese persona never occured to me. The first
      > time I saw someone in Japanese armor was Estrella War XIX (2 weeks
      > ago). Lately I have been absorbing all the knowledge I can glean
      > from the Internet. I do not know of anyone in my area who even has a
      > Japanese persona, much less makes armor or garb.

      Well, we should be able to help. There are some good resources in the
      "Files" section of the Yahoo!Group, and you should really check out
      "http://www.sengokudaimyo.com". I especially recommend going here before
      you start your armour--I continually wish that I had!

      > My local household and SCA friends have been unsupportive of my
      > interest. I have taken flak from just about everyone for even
      > bringing up the idea. From a critique of how being Japanese does not
      > fit into the society at large to comments on how worthless the 2
      > handed fighting style of the Katana is in SCA combat at fighter
      > practice, to the question of my sexual preference because I like the
      > way Japanese armor looks.

      People will give flak for it. My response is to try and be as authentic
      as I can be (a personal goal). I figure it is hard for a person in a
      TSCA, non-authentic t-tunic to criticize someone who is actually
      re-creating period clothes of his chosen time and place. If they talk
      about how Japanese would never have made it to Europe (and they really
      probably wouldn't) ask why a Viking is sitting down with a French
      Rennaisance man and a Crusader--the liklihood of that combination is no
      more impossible, imho.

      > Perhaps I will be able to locate someone on this group that is
      > reasonable close to me geographically. Right now I am aquiring the
      > materials to make a mogami-do (horizontal plates with sugake-
      > odoshi). My plan right now is to use black ABD plastics and 550 cord
      > (parachute cord). I look forward to hearing from you all!

      I recommend looking at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com. Parachute cord is
      strong, but I don't recall if it is flat, and you really want that flat
      look. Also, if you look at the armouring section, there are suggestions
      there for how best to do it.

      If you want to have less ridicule from your European counterparts, you
      might want to try doing a late period riveted armour out of metal. On the
      one hand, you don't have to worry about fraying cords nearly as much. On
      the other, it can be reasonably done with metal. I personally like metal
      for any do with a large amount of spacing between the lacings. Also, you
      can do a nice, metal do and then add decorative lacing, rather than
      worrying about the lacing actually being required for holding anything up.
      Plus, for all that I want to try a nice kebiki odoshi laced o-yoroi or
      maru-do with good plastic, I still feel safest behind a nice, solid, metal
      breastplate.

      The biggest thing, if you are worried about ridicule, is to do some
      research first and make the absolute best armour that you can. A lot of
      the problems people have I don't believe are materials and cost nearly as
      much as they are measurements (eg, the lacing is round and too widely
      spaced).