Re: [SCA-JML] Rian/etc Cloak

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2003
      I've tried to make one, but didn't get very far.

      It appears to be a netting (probably think along the lines of fishing
      nets) with straws tied on in bundles with what I believe is called a
      'swallow's head' knot--basically, fold the bundle in half, and then loop
      it through itself. That's the advice I got.

      I was trying it with rafia, but I'm not sure that it is the best
      material--using rice straw is best. Of course, the problem here is that
      it isn't really the 'straw' like most people think of straw, but includes
      most of the leaf, IIRC.

      Hope that helps.

      -Ii

      On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Ash Smith wrote:

      > Does anyone have the pattern/directions for making the straw cloaks worn for
      > rain and snow and such?
      > I would like to make one from rafia or etc. They appear to just be a weave
      > of straw/grass, but how are they secured/tied/etc? Also, what are they
      > called?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Ash

    • Ash Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2003
        Thanks,
        The only reason for using rafia is that... well I can get it at walmart...
        where as I have no idea where to get rice straw ^_^.
        Plus I would suspect that rice straw would cost a good deal more.

        Thanks again,
        Ash
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2003
          On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Ash Smith wrote:

          > Thanks,
          > The only reason for using rafia is that... well I can get it at walmart...
          > where as I have no idea where to get rice straw ^_^.
          > Plus I would suspect that rice straw would cost a good deal more.

          Where do you live?

          There are several universities and other groups that are working with
          rice, and they need to get rid of the 'waste' which is basically the rest
          of the plant. I've talked with some people about it, but haven't heard
          any responses lately.

          -Ii
        • Ash Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2003
            I live in eastern Tennessee.
            I know that UT does work with corn hybrids nearby, but other than that I
            don't know of any crop work Unis are doing nearby.

            Ash