Re: [SCA-JML] Introduction

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 136 , Feb 14, 2003
      On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Marko Peussa <marko.peussa@...> wrote:

      > As a short introduction,

      Hajimemashite! Douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu!*

      > I've been practising Heki Ryu Insai Ha kyudo from -96. My shoulder is
      > healed now, but I'm stuck into kyudo for good. I also happen to be
      > the only Japanese persona here in our Barony of Aarnimetsä (Finland),
      > in the Kingdom of Drachenwald (Europe).

      That can be difficult. I'd say come on and play with us over here, but
      'the pond' is a bit difficult to get across just to play Japanese.

      > I host the website for our Company of Archers. We do the Toughest
      > Archery Competition in the Known Word. It is one hour shoot, in the
      > spirit of Sanjusangendo. Go and see the whole web site at
      > www.kolumbus.fi/marko.peussa/aca.htm

      Hmmm, that event sounds like a challenge. Is that the actual name of the
      event (I couldn't find it on the site).

      I know that one of our local Horde members, Pao Hu Tso, is trying to
      organize a 10th C. Chinese archery ritual. Also just finished reading
      about an archery ceremony in Heian period where the winners would get
      rewards from betting, and losers were apparently made to take a
      'punishment drink' (BATSU + SAKE).

      > Projects underway range from completing 100 pine-shafted kyudo arrows
      > to complete do-maru and a portable Japanese tea house.

      I'd be interested in the Japanese tea house. My first attempt failed,
      miserably (well, I kept dry! and off the ground! so maybe it just
      failed--or was miserable--and not entirely both). I am thinking that the
      house-on-a-trailer may be the way to go when I get back to that project.

      If you planned to use the Hideyoshi portable Tea House, and have the book
      "Japan's Golden Age: Momoyama" then I have one suggestion: turn the book
      upside down, first (yes, someone did go ahead and put the picture in
      upside down. Another good one for folks who like these kinds of things:
      the samurai on the cover of "Samurai: An Illustrated History" is wearing
      his sode on the wrong sides! You can tell because of where the furniture
      sits on them.)

      > Klaus (Yep, not a Japanese name. Should I switch to Kazu San? My wife
      > would be certainly happy because I have so many SCA projects going on
      > simultaneously.)

      Well, we can help you with that, Klaus-dono. What are you looking for?

      -Ii

      *Good to meet you! May it go well with you.
    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone