Underwear

  • Marko Peussa <marko.peussa@kolumbus.fi>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2003
      What kind of underwear would be in use in the Japanese middle ages
      (say from 1100 to 1600) for men? Is the kind of Ondekoza/Kodo drum
      band stuff ok? White cloth around your groin and waist. How does it
      look unwrapped and how to wrap it?

      Regards,

      Klaus
    • kujika@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2003
        most of what your looking for is here
        http://homepage1.nifty.com/koshifumi/english1.html

      • Richard Brooks
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2003
          I also have a picture posted in the files section detailing how to make
          and wear an ecchu-fundoshi, which is a little more conservative than the
          "thong" type fundoshi. I've never worn that type, but the ecchu variety
          seems more comfortable. Anyone else think so?

          kujika@... wrote:

          > most of what your looking for is here
          > http://homepage1.nifty.com/koshifumi/english1.html

        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2003
            On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Marko Peussa <marko.peussa@...> wrote:

            > What kind of underwear would be in use in the Japanese middle ages
            > (say from 1100 to 1600) for men? Is the kind of Ondekoza/Kodo drum
            > band stuff ok? White cloth around your groin and waist. How does it
            > look unwrapped and how to wrap it?

            That site that Kuji-dono posted was actually a pretty good one; I take
            just about every web page with a grain of salt unless I know who is behind
            it.

            You see what at least appears to be just long cloths in many places. I've
            not seen (nor looked) for evidence of the 'eccu-fundoshi [sic]' (etchu?)
            in period--the author seems to be referring to it as Edo period in the
            Japanese side of his page, but I may have missed something because I never
            saw an actual date.

            He also has a 'wari-fundoshi' on the Japanese side--just a rectangle but
            it is split at the end. Those ends appear to act as the ties that go
            around the waist.

            One I didn't see there was one seen in some post-period armouring manuals
            (it may be earlier, I just don't have the evidence). It has a loop that
            goes around the neck, then it goes down your chest, under the groin, and
            has ties to tie around to the front. I don't know that that was worn with
            everyday clothing, though.

            -Ii
          • Marko Peussa
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2003
              Excellent site, appreciated. I'm impressed. Needless to say, I'm going to
              make a few of those and use them.

              Regards,

              Klaus

                > I also have a picture posted in the files section detailing how to make
                > and wear an ecchu-fundoshi, which is a little more conservative than the
                > "thong" type fundoshi. I've never worn that type, but the ecchu variety
                > seems more comfortable. Anyone else think so?

                I first learned fundoshi with a version (slight difference) of the Etchu
                fundoshi. It is, to me, the least uncomfortable option. <G>