Re: [SCA-JML] Laces/cording/etc

  • Jamie Norwood
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
      On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:52:13AM -0500, Ash Smith wrote:
      > Hello all, I know many of you have used www.lacesforless.com for your laces
      > for armor.
      > What size has everyone used? (width I mean)
      > I am going to do a "solid" do (ie: not a bunch of laced lames :) ) So I
      > mostly just need it for the shoulder/etc lames and strapping.
      >
      > The "extra wide" ones are 5/8" ... but that seems too large to me. And I'm
      > not sure if 1/4" is wide ENOUGH. hehe

      Effingham's page seems to indicate that even 5/8" may be on the narrow side
      of the spectrum. From his section on odoshi, on sizing:

      The lacing from the kozakura gawa odoshi t-yoroi in Itsukushima Jinja is a
      full inch wide. The red silk braid from the aka ito odoshi t-yoroi in the same
      location is a shade over three quarters of an inch. These are old armours,
      though. The kozane of the kozakura gawa are almost two inches in width, and
      those of the aka ito are about 1 5/8" wide. When we get down to armours with
      quarter-inch braid, we're looking at the iro-iro odoshi haramaki in Sada
      Jinja, which has kozane of less than .5" in width.

      And for the record, www.sengokudaimyo.com is there his pages lie. :)

      Hope this helps!

      Jamie