Laces/cording/etc

  • Ash Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
      Hello all, I know many of you have used www.lacesforless.com for your laces
      for armor.
      What size has everyone used? (width I mean)
      I am going to do a "solid" do (ie: not a bunch of laced lames :) ) So I
      mostly just need it for the shoulder/etc lames and strapping.

      The "extra wide" ones are 5/8" ... but that seems too large to me. And I'm
      not sure if 1/4" is wide ENOUGH. hehe

      Thanks,
      Ash
    • Jamie Norwood
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
        On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:52:13AM -0500, Ash Smith wrote:
        > Hello all, I know many of you have used www.lacesforless.com for your laces
        > for armor.
        > What size has everyone used? (width I mean)
        > I am going to do a "solid" do (ie: not a bunch of laced lames :) ) So I
        > mostly just need it for the shoulder/etc lames and strapping.
        >
        > The "extra wide" ones are 5/8" ... but that seems too large to me. And I'm
        > not sure if 1/4" is wide ENOUGH. hehe

        Effingham's page seems to indicate that even 5/8" may be on the narrow side
        of the spectrum. From his section on odoshi, on sizing:

        The lacing from the kozakura gawa odoshi t-yoroi in Itsukushima Jinja is a
        full inch wide. The red silk braid from the aka ito odoshi t-yoroi in the same
        location is a shade over three quarters of an inch. These are old armours,
        though. The kozane of the kozakura gawa are almost two inches in width, and
        those of the aka ito are about 1 5/8" wide. When we get down to armours with
        quarter-inch braid, we're looking at the iro-iro odoshi haramaki in Sada
        Jinja, which has kozane of less than .5" in width.

        And for the record, www.sengokudaimyo.com is there his pages lie. :)

        Hope this helps!

        Jamie