Re: [SCA-JML] Tenkoku

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 18, 2003

      Greetings from Solveig! Three more Japanese words are hanko which is generic
      and jitsuin or "true seal" and motome (if I remember that word correctly).
      The individually made things are not gauranteed to be unique. They are just
      not those mass produced things you see stuck in display racks like pencils.
      The legal signature seals are the ones registered at city hall. Period.

      My registration card from Musashino city hall says "Inkan Tourokusho" on it.
      The one from Mitaka city hall says the same thing. The registered seals are
      called "inkan" in government documents.

      Tensho refers to a "shotai" calligraphic style of font. This calligraphic
      font is frequently used in inkan. (ref. Daijirin.) Please forgive my lapse
      of memory. Kaisho is a very clear calligraphic form in the kaisho ->
      gyousho -> shousho sequence. There is an interesting calligraphic form which
      I thought that you were refering to. It is about twice as wide as it is
      high and is fairly old. Kanwajiten generally show the tensho version of
      popular kanji as a gloss to the text. Alas, my memory is turning to mush.

      Tensho does not use the kanji for heaven. Neither does tenkoku. Tenkoku
      uses the same ten ans tensho and refers to making seal impressions.

      Tenkai does have "heaven" in it and is one the ten Dharma worlds of Tientai
      Buddhism and its derivatives.

      There are special kanji for numbers customariliy used in legal documents.
      Ordinary numerical letters can easily be changed by adding a few brush
      strokes. The special legal numerals have extra brush strokes which make
      this sort of modification impossible.

    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 18, 2003

        Greetings from Solveig! The traditional seal carving tool is a ctually a
        small chisel and not a knife. You can buy the things at calligraphy supply
        stores in Japan.

        I do not recommend eating seal ink.

        > Now I'm really confused. It sounds like I should just keep
        >signing my name on the scrolls rather than using a seal because that's more
        >correct for us. Am I understanding you correctly?
        > Unfortunately I don't have a lot of information on this other than
        >a few lines here and there in various books and some internet research
        >(which is admittedly suspect).

        Yes. You should devise a kao which is more of a monogram than what you might
        think of as a signature. Imagine writing your name in a sousho style script
        with all of the letters on top of each other in one place.

        You can make a seal for the barony. That would be spiffy. I have been making
        seals for royalty, because I can not expect them to learn how to write kao,
        not because I think that it is the best approach.

        Mass writes about the use of kao in Antiquity and Anachronism in Japanese
        History.

        Gosh. That calligraphy mill charges $160.00 for a certificate.

      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie <ka
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 20, 2003
          Greetings to all from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
          Those of us who make Japanese style armor are familiar with four
          little rivit combos called "shi ten byo" or sometimes "she ten no byo"
          on the hachi of a kabuto.
          I am familiar with the names of the four Deva kings from Buddhism that
          these refer to, but I do not know which one is which on the hachi, if
          indeed the assignment has been made. Perhaps Baron Edward, or one of
          the other armor-familiar might be able to help.
          In search of humble understanding...
          Date

          Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
          http://www.kabutographics.com
          kabuto@...
        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 20, 2003

            > From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
            >
            >Noble Cousins!
            >
            >Greetings from Solveig! The traditional seal carving tool is a ctually a
            >small chisel and not a knife. You can buy the things at calligraphy supply
            >stores in Japan.

            True, but in English anybody who I've met calls it a knive and you don't
            push it like a chisel. I recommend buying a 1/4" or 3/16" bits of high
            speed steel (cheap) and wrapping them with rubber tape and the like. The
            stores want $20-30 for this little bit.

            >Gosh. That calligraphy mill charges $160.00 for a certificate.

            From what I've read, calligraphy in Japan is all about certificates and
            not much to do with art. So this is not surprising. They have levels,
            formal schools, the works.

            Jim Eckman

          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 20, 2003
              I know that the Chinese used what are termed the "great seal characters" for their seals. These are not just squared off characters/kanji, but rather an archaic form of their written language. You can see excellent examples of them if you can locate pictures of the bottoms of some of the early bronzes. I don't know, but my suspicion is that, as the Japanese frequently adopted Chinese culture wholesale, that this could be the case here as well.

              Kiri
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 20, 2003
                Again, as I'm not really familiar with Japanese seals, I'm not sure I'm on firm ground here. However, if the Japanese seals follow the way the Chinese seals were made, they were usually composed of great seal characters carved into soapstone, almost like a stamp. So what you get when you print it is the characters voided.

                Kiri
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 20, 2003
                  there are also some nuts...can't remember the name, but it's something like takua nut or along those lines, that's being used for carving/scrimshaw/etc as it mimics ivory, but is a vegetable rather than coming from an animal. I'm not sure how well it would work...i.e., it might be too porous to work well.

                  Kiri
                  > I'm researching Japanese seals with the intent of making one for myself to
                  >"sign" Baronial scrolls. Does anyone know where I can find information on
                  >writing the Tensho script? I've done some internet research and found lots
                  >of places that will make one for me but I want to make it myself. Any ideas?

                  I don't know of any places that have such a thing on-line but here's a
                  few links to get started.
                  http://pages.prodigy.net/fugu/sumi.html
                  http://www.zhongwen.com/

                  Seal carving's not that difficult other than designing the actual seal,
                  I do remember a website that showed how to do it and in San Francisco at
                  least you can buy blank seals at many stores.

                  > From: Ii Saburou <logan@...>
                  >
                  >I would also recommend looking into differences between modern and ancient
                  >seals--I'm not sure what changes may have happened, but it might be a good
                  >thing to look into.

                  There are changes, but some people continue using the more archaic
                  styles as well so there are character dictionaries for drawing them
                  available as books. Note, I've never seen that info on line so pass on
                  any links you find!

                  > From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
                  >Subject: Re: Tenkoku
                  >
                  >Noble Cousin!
                  >
                  >Greetings from Solveig! Seals are interesting. Some old seals produce
                  >impressions exhibiting mirror writing. Seals in general are eith deko
                  >or boko depending on whether it produces a positive or negative image.
                  >I believe that positive seals are prefered for attesting documents.

                  I don't know what the ancient customs for that are, but I've seen both
                  used for recent items.

                  >I have a Japanese book on how to carve inkan. Originally, I carved them
                  >out of stone and have the correct tools for doing so. However, a friend
                  >warned me of silicosis

                  I can't imagine getting silicosis if you are using a seal carving knife,
                  the pieces that are carved off are way too big. I don't recommend dremel
                  tools unless you are really good with them and then I would use a mask.

                  >and I switched to wood years ago. Seals were
                  >commonly made out of metal, ivory, wood, and stone.

                  You can cheat and use linoleum as well! Easily available at places like
                  Micheals. Please don't buy new ivory for carving. You could try Corian
                  scraps as an ivory replacement if you wanted that look.

                  Also note that most seal ink is highly toxic, don't leave it around
                  small children!

                  Jim Eckman

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Solveig
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 20, 2003

                    Greetings from Solveig! It sure does look like a chisel regardless
                    of how you weild it. Besides, Japanese saws work backwards from
                    European saws, but nobody has any problems calling both of them
                    saws.

                    You are talking about the thing for carving rock aren't you? Not
                    the thing for carving wood? I have both.

                    Yes. There are several ryuha for calligraphy. The one I belong to
                    publishes montly ratings in their magazine.

                  • BamboOni@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 21, 2003
                      In a message dated 1/20/2003 9:46:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      ekoogler1@... writes:

                      > there are also some nuts...can't remember the name, but it's something like
                      > takua nut or along those lines, that's being used for carving/scrimshaw/etc
                      > as it mimics ivory, but is a vegetable rather than coming from an animal.
                      > I'm not sure how well it would work...i.e., it might be too porous to work
                      > well.

                      They are called Tagua nuts. And if polished right you can't tell the
                      difference between them and ivory(unless your an expert) :)

                      Takebayashi Genpachi

                      'Only the bamboo knows the pure breeze'
                      Zen Master Nanrei Kobori-roshi

                    • James Eckman
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 21, 2003

                        > From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...>
                        >

                        >These are not just squared off characters/kanji, but rather an archaic form of their written language.

                        Yes, they have they are the much older forms. Quite artistic in their
                        own way.

                        >I don't know, but my suspicion is that, as the Japanese frequently adopted Chinese culture wholesale, that this could be the case here as well.

                        They use it nowadays, but I'm clueless about historical usage.

                        > Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 10:04 PM
                        > Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Tenkoku
                        >

                        > I do know that it's much older than Kanji and is still used nowadays
                        > exclusively for seals. One site implied that it was just kanji characters
                        > that were rendered in a more linear or squared off fashion to make them
                        > easier to carve. I may have to do just that and fake it with kanji.

                        They were carved originally on oracle bones and the like. This is pre-paper.

                        > From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...>
                        >Subject: Re: Re: Tenkoku
                        >
                        >there are also some nuts...can't remember the name, but it's something like takua nut

                        Tagua.

                        >or along those lines, that's being used for carving/scrimshaw/etc as it mimics ivory, but is a vegetable rather than coming from an animal. I'm not sure how well it would work...i.e., it might be too porous to work well.

                        I have some, but I haven't used them for seals, they tend to be small
                        though. They aren't very porous, available from some woodworking dealers.

                        Jim Eckman
                      • Park McKellop
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 21, 2003
                          I bet the nuts are easier to chew. :-) Are they edible?
                          Alcyoneus
                          BamboOni@... wrote:They are called Tagua nuts. And if polished right you can't tell the

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 21, 2003
                            Solveig wrote:

                            > Yes. You should devise a kao which is more of a monogram than what you might
                            > think of as a signature. Imagine writing your name in a sousho style script
                            > with all of the letters on top of each other in one place.

                            I'm reminded of the fact that Nobunaga's kao was a highly calligled and sylized
                            "kirin" (as in, the mythical beast). The first time I saw it and was told what
                            it was, I remember asking, "you're sure it doesn't read 'Rorschach'?"
                            <G>

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 21, 2003
                              "Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie " wrote:

                              > Greetings to all from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
                              > Those of us who make Japanese style armor are familiar with four
                              > little rivit combos called "shi ten byo" or sometimes "she ten no byo"
                              > on the hachi of a kabuto.
                              > I am familiar with the names of the four Deva kings from Buddhism that
                              > these refer to, but I do not know which one is which on the hachi, if
                              > indeed the assignment has been made. Perhaps Baron Edward, or one of
                              > the other armor-familiar might be able to help.

                              There is no direct one-to-one assignment, I'm afraid. The term "shiten no
                              byô" is just a name given to the rivets -- individually, they haven't been
                              designated one or the other.

                              Sorry. <G>

                              Effingham
                            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie <ka
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 22, 2003
                                Domo, Baron Effingham,
                                I suspected as much, but always wondered...

                                Date

                                > There is no direct one-to-one assignment, I'm afraid. The term
                                "shiten no
                                > byô" is just a name given to the rivets -- individually, they
                                haven't been
                                > designated one or the other.
                                >
                                > Sorry. <G>
                                >
                                > Effingham
                              • James Eckman
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 22, 2003

                                  > From: BamboOni@...
                                  >

                                  > From: Park McKellop <squire009@...>
                                  >I bet the nuts are easier to chew. :-)

                                  Only if you have stainless steel teeth and jaw muscles of a bulldog.

                                  > From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
                                  >

                                  >I'm reminded of the fact that Nobunaga's kao was a highly calligled and sylized
                                  >"kirin" (as in, the mythical beast). The first time I saw it and was told what
                                  >it was, I remember asking, "you're sure it doesn't read 'Rorschach'?"
                                  ><G>

                                  Rule of thumb for Chinese/Japanese calligraphy, the more artistic, the
                                  less readable ;)

                                  > From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
                                  >
                                  >Greetings from Solveig! It sure does look like a chisel regardless
                                  >of how you weild it. Besides, Japanese saws work backwards from
                                  >European saws, but nobody has any problems calling both of them
                                  >saws.
                                  >
                                  >You are talking about the thing for carving rock aren't you? Not
                                  >the thing for carving wood? I have both.

                                  Yes, I'm talking about the one for rock which looks like a chisel but
                                  you don't push it, you slice/carve with it. You can call it whatever,
                                  but the people at the stores will call it a knife and probably don't
                                  understand what a chisel is. English is not a strong point among most of
                                  these vendors and I don't know the Japanese/Chinese names for the tool.
                                  I also have the wood carving tools and you do use the chisels as chisels
                                  then.

                                  >Yes. There are several ryuha for calligraphy. The one I belong to
                                  >publishes montly ratings in their magazine.

                                  Are you taking one of the classes by mail from Japan? I had a classmate
                                  that took those. She could draw them beautifully but couldn't read them.
                                  What scripts are you studying? I'm lucky that I know multiple
                                  calligraphy teachers! I can get help in person, which is good because my
                                  writing is not very good.

                                  Jim Eckman