Fitting Kyahan?

  • skyscraperpriestess <rjb@ns.sympatico.ca>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2003
      I would like to make a pair of kyahan (leg wraps or puttees) for
      myself, as they would be great for keeping my legs warm under my
      hakamas. However, there is one slight problem. My legs are not built
      like most people- I have thin ankles with huge calves. 8.5" around the
      ankle, 17.5 around the calf. So how do I tailor a pair of these to fit
      me, hopefully without having to resort to the OOP evil that is stretch
      fabric?
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2003
        On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, skyscraperpriestess <rjb@...> wrote:

        > I would like to make a pair of kyahan (leg wraps or puttees) for
        > myself, as they would be great for keeping my legs warm under my
        > hakamas. However, there is one slight problem. My legs are not built
        > like most people- I have thin ankles with huge calves. 8.5" around the
        > ankle, 17.5 around the calf. So how do I tailor a pair of these to fit
        > me, hopefully without having to resort to the OOP evil that is stretch
        > fabric?

        Well, one way of doing this is to take your fabric, wrap it around your
        legs, and have someone mark where the two come together. That will help
        to get them completely wrapped around your leg (you may want to expand to
        a) have some overlap and b) make sure they go around whatever you wear
        under them. Of course, in the latter case, you don't need to worry too
        much about it wrapping all the way around, anyway.

        The himo for the kyahan--the ties to keep it closed--should probably not
        be right on the very edge. I'm not entirely sure of this without seeing
        more examples, but it has been my experience that if the ties are slightly
        back from the edge you get a little more flexibility in who they fit and
        how.

        Basically, get the cheapest fabric you can find and make a test set that
        you can cut and do what you want to.

        That help?

        -Ii
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2003
          What you can do is to use a period fabric like a light-weight wool, but use it on the bias (a 45 degree turn of the fabric so that the threads run diagonally). Cut out a length that is as long as you want it, and a little wider than the largest part of your calf. Then, get someone to pin the fabric around your leg, with the pins following the shape of your leg. Slip them off and cut along the pin line, leaving a bit for seam allowance and making sure the bottom is big enough to fit your foot through.

          Hope this helps!

          Kiri

          PS: This is basically how hosen are fitted.....so if you know someone who makes them, they can probably help.
          I would like to make a pair of kyahan (leg wraps or puttees) for
          myself, as they would be great for keeping my legs warm under my
          hakamas. However, there is one slight problem. My legs are not built
          like most people- I have thin ankles with huge calves. 8.5" around the
          ankle, 17.5 around the calf. So how do I tailor a pair of these to fit
          me, hopefully without having to resort to the OOP evil that is stretch
          fabric?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2003
            "skyscraperpriestess " wrote:

            > I would like to make a pair of kyahan (leg wraps or puttees) for
            > myself, as they would be great for keeping my legs warm under my
            > hakamas. However, there is one slight problem. My legs are not built
            > like most people- I have thin ankles with huge calves. 8.5" around the
            > ankle, 17.5 around the calf. So how do I tailor a pair of these to fit
            > me, hopefully without having to resort to the OOP evil that is stretch
            > fabric?

            I have to admit to being unclear as to the question.

            It's just a flat piece of cloth where the centerline runs along the front of
            your shin; the thing is cut to fit the width necessary to wrap around and
            have a bit of an overlap. Have you never seen a pair of kyahan? I'm
            attaching a gif of a pair (I hope it comes through!).

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 21, 2003