Walls

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
      When the wall was built in 1276? to help against the next Mongol invasion, under who's direction was it built? The Emperor's, Shogun's or a local daimyo?

      We are having a Mongolian themed event on 3/3/03, and I am thinking about rewriting a short speech from 1987 and I would like to do better than "Mr. Fu Manchu, tear down this wall!" If anyone has a suggestion for the best name to use in relation to China's Great Wall, I'm interested in that as well.

      Alcyoneus

    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 24, 2002

        >When the wall was built in 1276? to help against the next Mongol
        >invasion, under who's direction was it built? The Emperor's,
        >Shogun's or a local daimyo?

        The daimyo didn't exist yet.

        >We are having a Mongolian themed event on 3/3/03, and I am thinking
        >about rewriting a short speech from 1987 and I would like to do
        >better than "Mr. Fu Manchu, tear down this wall!" If anyone has a
        >suggestion for the best name to use in relation to China's Great
        >Wall, I'm interested in that as well.

        The thing does have a name in Chinese. I am a bit confused though. This is
        the Japanese mailing list. Are you trying to do something Chinese or are
        you trying to do something Japanese?

      • Park McKellop
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2002
          I'm adapting Pres. Reagan's "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." speech. Since the wall in Japan was built in about 6 months (?), someone ordered it built, and I could interchange his name easily enough. Since the Great Wall was built over a period of centuries, no single person directed it's building, but I figure that someone on the list might have an idea of a name of a person that might be appropriate to use if I decided to use a Chinese name instead of Japanese. The fall back for the Chinese is "Fu Manchu". ;-)
          Alcyoneus
          Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig!

          >When the wall was built in 1276? to help against the next Mongol
          >invasion, under who's direction was it built? The Emperor's,
          >Shogun's or a local daimyo?

          The daimyo didn't exist yet.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 26, 2002
            I am a bit confused though. This is
            > the Japanese mailing list. Are you trying to do something Chinese or
            are you trying to do something Japanese?

            My Dera Lady Solvieg,
            The header of the Japanese mailing List does actually say "...and
            other far east topics..."
            Hope you had or are having good holidays...
            Your Clansman, Date
          • tatsushu <logan@modzer0.cs.uaf.edu>
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 27, 2002
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@y...> wrote:

              > I'm adapting Pres. Reagan's "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."
              speech. Since the wall in Japan was built in about 6 months (?),
              someone ordered it built, and I could interchange his name easily
              enough. Since the Great Wall was built over a period of centuries,
              no single person directed it's building, but I figure that someone on
              the list might have an idea of a name of a person that might be
              appropriate to use if I decided to use a Chinese name instead of
              Japanese. The fall back for the Chinese is "Fu Manchu". ;-)
              > Alcyoneus

              Hmmm...

              Well, I would suggest that you could use the name of either Emperor
              Go'uda or Retired Emperor Kameyama--I believe the former was Emperor
              when the wall was built, but I'm not sure.

              More appropriately might be the Hojo Regent, Hojo Tokimune.
              According to http://www.samurai-archives.com/tokimune.html, he was
              the shogunal regent from 1268 - 1284, so he would have been
              responsible for the wall.

              If you are going with the Great Wall and doing it from a Mongol
              perspective I would suggest asking the folks over at SCA-China.
              Other than that, you might choose a time in Chinese history and
              determine which emperor you are fighting against and use that for
              your name.