[SCA-JML] Re: Kyujutsu, SCA rules, books

    Message 1 of 74 , Mar 1, 2000
      Takewara no Ken'ichiro Yoshinobu wrote:

      > I think that I still have the flyer that I got from him at Pennsic
      > somewhere, and I should have a business card somewhere. HOWEVER,
      > Hiraizumi-dono, I know someone that can make strings for yumi out of
      > dacron instead of the "traditional" materials, and still be the right
      > size, just as strong, and last longer. Might you be interested? He's
      > an archery marshall, BTW.

      That would be spiff, I'd appreciate getting in touch with him. The spare
      I'd ordered from Yumi (I'd still like the contact, since it's paid for...)
      is "Western style" (i.e., loops at both ends).

      > And while I'm at it, why practice with air for weeks or months
      > before stringing the bow and actually firing? Isn't use the best way
      > to improve or learn a skill?

      Wax on, wax off.

      It's a *very* Japanese approach.

      Effingham
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 74 of 74 , Mar 17, 2000
        On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > Actually, I was a bad boy and skipped out without finding the exact
        > > address. It was next to Nijo Castle, and it was just a small hole in
        > > the wall, from the looks of it. I wish, looking back, that I had paid
        > > more attention, but my main thought was that I didn't have enough money,
        > > and then some other people walked in; and the people were pretty busy.
        > >

        > Hmmm... Okay, as you stand in front of the entrance to Nijo, is it to the left or
        > right? Same street, or down a side street?

        From the castle I headed south (right from the castle entrance, and it was
        at the northeast corner of the next block down, if I am remembering
        correctly. (In other words, head south, cross the street, and you're
        there.)

        It caught my eye because of the tsuba and various other furniture in the
        window. I thought it might have something I could afford. On entering,
        however...

        Well, the entire 'shop' seems to be just a selling point. It is one room,
        enough space for maybe 5 people, comfortably. Blades are mounted on the
        walls. I'm pretty sure they do more than shinken, and I sure hope it was
        real shinken with the price tags I saw.

        They also had one ancient looking tsuba for about \11,000 or more, that I
        saw. I wish I could help more. Now I really feel bad for not being more
        attentive.

        > True. I'd like to go in and look at the place in person, though... <g>

        Nod.

        And thanks for the rest of the info.

        -Godric Logan