Kublai Kahn's invasions

  • ipsley1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2002
      The current issue of Archaeology magazine has an article by James P. Delgado
      on the maritime excavations near Takashima Island, close to Hakata Bay, where
      Kublai Khan attempted to invade Japan. Among the interesting finds are
      ceramic-shelled gunpowder bombs, substandard anchors, armor, swords and
      sabers. The excavations are being conducted by KOSUWA, the Kyushu Okinawa
      Society for Underwater Archaeology, and led by Kenzo Hayashida. I understand
      that the 2002 excavations had to be carried out as a rescue excavation, as
      it's intended to put a fish farm on the site. No further details as yet,
      although I hope that there may be enough there for anyone interested to begin.

      Gerald of Ipsley, or Nishio Jiro
      Non Nobis Solem