Yumi bow for S.C.A.

  • Dave Jones <irish_65@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
      Hail and well met
      Any sugestions on where one could locate a Yumi style bow that would
      be acceptable for S.C.A. use.
      I have seen some pictures on the Yama-Kaminari site of there clan at
      Pensic.
      They appear to be Yumi bows but I am not sure,any help is greatly
      appreciated.

      Domo
      Dave Jones
    • Don Luby
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
        On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Dave Jones <irish_65@...> wrote:

        > Hail and well met
        > Any sugestions on where one could locate a Yumi style bow that would
        > be acceptable for S.C.A. use.

        It depends on what you mean by that; do you mean for target archery,
        combat archery, or something else? Both?

        > I have seen some pictures on the Yama-Kaminari site of their clan at
        > Pennsic. They appear to be Yumi bows but I am not sure, any help is
        > greatly appreciated.

        Yes, they are Yumi bows, as in bows made by Yumi - they were
        specially designed by him (at our request) so that we could bows that
        looked as right as they could (made in his anal-retentive and loving
        recration of traditional techniques and styles), while following the
        combat archery regulations (30# at 28" draw), so they end up being
        about 1.5' shorter (unstrung) than traditonal yumi. I have the first
        one he made, which he accidentally made too strong (it's ~45#), so I
        could use it with gold tube arrows, but I actually just use it for
        target archery.
        He also makes full-size yumi, and while they are quite excellent,
        they're way too big for combat archery, and may prove problematic for
        doing scored target archery in the SCA as well, since the shafts are
        so much larger than normal commercially available arrows, and SCA
        combat requires the use of wooden arrows.

        > Domo
        > Dave Jones

        Sir Koredono

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
          Is there info on the net as to construction of these
          traditional yumi and ya?

          Nindja

          --- Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Dave Jones <irish_65@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Hail and well met
          > > Any sugestions on where one could locate a Yumi
          > style bow that would
          > > be acceptable for S.C.A. use.
          >
          > It depends on what you mean by that; do you mean
          > for target archery,
          > combat archery, or something else? Both?
          >
          > > I have seen some pictures on the Yama-Kaminari
          > site of their clan at
          > > Pennsic. They appear to be Yumi bows but I am not
          > sure, any help is
          > > greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Yes, they are Yumi bows, as in bows made by Yumi -
          > they were
          > specially designed by him (at our request) so that
          > we could bows that
          > looked as right as they could (made in his
          > anal-retentive and loving
          > recration of traditional techniques and styles),
          > while following the
          > combat archery regulations (30# at 28" draw), so
          > they end up being
          > about 1.5' shorter (unstrung) than traditonal yumi.
          > I have the first
          > one he made, which he accidentally made too strong
          > (it's ~45#), so I
          > could use it with gold tube arrows, but I actually
          > just use it for
          > target archery.
          > He also makes full-size yumi, and while they are
          > quite excellent,
          > they're way too big for combat archery, and may
          > prove problematic for
          > doing scored target archery in the SCA as well,
          > since the shafts are
          > so much larger than normal commercially available
          > arrows, and SCA
          > combat requires the use of wooden arrows.
          >
          > > Domo
          > > Dave Jones
          >

          > Sir Koredono

          > Don Luby Magariki
          > Katsuichi no Koredono, KSCA
          > djl@...
          > Yama-kaminari-ryu
          > Pittsburgh, PA
          > Debatable Lands, AEthelmearc

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Don Luby
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
            On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Nevin Broz wrote:

            > Is there info on the net as to construction of these
            > traditional yumi and ya?

            Unlikely, or at least not in any good and helpful way - like most
            real traditional crafts, the skills are mostly handed down via some
            sort of apprenticeship. At Yumi's booth at Pennsic, he had one yumi
            as a work-in-progress, so people could see exactly how the laminations
            and bow curvature were arrived at, and that just reinforced my belief
            in how arcane of a craft it is.

            > Nindja

            Koredono
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002

              >Is there info on the net as to construction of these
              >traditional yumi and ya?

              There are books about the things. Do you really want to go that route?
              They are difficult to make and the laquer on them is toxic when wet.
              Also the dust can be nasty. It took Yumi who makes his living making
              bows at least five years to figure out how to make the things.

              If you live near Toronto, you might consider aksing Yumi if you can
              visit his workshop.

            • Park McKellop
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
                The current issue of Primitive Archer does.
                Alcyoneus
                Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:

                On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Nevin Broz wrote:

                > Is there info on the net as to construction of these
                > traditional yumi and ya?

                Unlikely, or at least not in any good and helpful way - like most
                real traditional crafts, the skills are mostly handed down via some
                sort of apprenticeship. At Yumi's booth at Pennsic, he had one yumi
                as a work-in-progress, so people could see exactly how the laminations
                and bow curvature were arrived at, and that just reinforced my belief
                in how arcane of a craft it is.

                > Nindja

                Koredono

              • Nevin Broz
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
                  I'm not far from Toronto. Can you give me his contact
                  information?

                  Nindja Chunin

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • chagin1 <chagin1@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 19, 2002
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Jones <irish_65@y...>"
                    <irish_65@y...> wrote:
                    > Hail and well met
                    > Any sugestions on where one could locate a Yumi style bow that
                    would
                    > be acceptable for S.C.A. use.

                    I still have my 18kg (at 90 cm draw) nisunobi Yumi (Symanski)
                    available for sale in case you are interested in a "real" Yumi.

                    Takanofuji Jutte (Seamus/elmar)