Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Cloaks

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2002
      Douglas Shannon wrote:

      > I'm currently reading a series of books that while written in modern times,
      > are set just post period in and around Edo. The current book is taking place
      > in the begining of winter and the author keeps mentioning that the
      > characters are wearing cloaks.
      >
      > The primary character is the "shogun's sosakan-sama" and therefore a
      > relatively well to-do samurai beaurocrat; so I can't picture that he would
      > be wearing the grass rain cape of a commoner...

      Oy. Rowland. Ummmm.... Yeah.

      Well, when it's snowing or raining, he would. It isn't the cape of a commoner. It's a *rain* cape. Period. Everyone wore
      them. As to exactly what Rowland would be talking about, I couldn't tell ya...

      > This has some promise. Does anyone know how it would have been constructed?

      It's 8/9ths of a full circle. It's made from eight equal triangles; if there were a ninth, it'd be a full circle. The
      usually striped pattern of the cloth is what makes them look so striking.

      Of course, you wouldn't be making one to wear at an event, as it's not a period garment. Ahem.