Re: [SCA-JML] Kanji characters needed..

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2002
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > For help with words, may I suggest Jim Breen's WWWJDIC Server?
      >
      > You need to be able to read hiragana to get the pronunciation, and need at
      > least the fonts for displaying Japanese characters, but it is helpful:
      >
      > http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jwb/wwwjdic?1C
      >
      > It has 'SUKAISUKURE-PA-', 'KOUSOUBIRU', 'KOUROU', or 'MATENROU'.

      Just running a quick e-mail run!

      One of the wonders of a Japanese Google search:

      Sukaiskureepaa: 608 hits
      Kôsô biru: 79,600 hits
      Kôrô: 124,000 hits
      Matenrô: 37,700 hits.

      The winner is "kôsô biru." Poo. I've always used matenrô.

      Effingham
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2002
        It all depends. It seems that foreign words are often written in
        katakana, but there also seems to usually be a 'Japanese' word for it in
        kanji as well. I'm not sure what all of the rules are--katakana has
        almost a 'popular' feeling to me, while kanji seems to be used where you
        want to be more intellectual. I won't say that this is always the case,
        though.

        -Ii

        On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Hachiman wrote:

        > I would have thought that, because "skyscraper" is a foreign word, it would
        > be written in katakana, not kanji?
        >
        > Of course, I could be displaying my ignorance as well! :)
        >
        > cheers
        >

        > Yoshiro Tsunemori / Raphael Dunoir

      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2002
          On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

          > Just running a quick e-mail run!
          >
          > One of the wonders of a Japanese Google search:
          >
          > Sukaiskureepaa: 608 hits
          > Kôsô biru: 79,600 hits
          > Kôrô: 124,000 hits
          > Matenrô: 37,700 hits.
          >
          > The winner is "kôsô biru." Poo. I've always used matenrô.

          Actually, doesn't Kôrô beat it out? The next step of course would be to
          see how they are used. For instance, which of these is most often used in
          speech?

          -Ii, just stirring up trouble