Thangka Art Books

  • karl.j.jacobs@jci.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2002
      As a happy coincidence, I have been compiling a list of books that are
      currently available on this topic, as my mundane family is interested in
      knowing what books I'd like as gifts for the Yule holiday. Here's what
      I've found thus far:

      Tibetan Paintings: A Study of Tibetan Thankas, Eleventh to Nineteenth
      Centuries

      Pratapaditya Pal

      Our Price: $49.95

      Format: Hardcover, 224pp.

      ISBN: 0856671894

      Tibetan Thangka Painting: Methods and Materials

      David P. Jackson Robert Beer (Illustrator) Janice A. Jackson

      Our Price: $40.00

      Format: Paperback, 216pp.

      ISBN: 1559391138

      Publisher: Snow Lion Publications, Incorporated

      Pub. Date: July 1998

      Images of Enlightenment: Tibetan Art in Practice

      Jonathan Landaw Andy Weber

      Retail Price: $24.95

      Our Price: $19.96

      Format: Paperback, 1st ed., 304pp.

      ISBN: 1559390247

      Publisher: Snow Lion Publications, Incorporated

      Pub. Date: March 1994

      Tibetan Paintings: The Jucker Collection

      Hugo Kreijer Hugo Kreijger Ernst Jucker Mischa E. Jucker (Photographer)

      Our Price: $75.00

      Format: Hardcover, 190pp.

      ISBN: 1570628653

      Publisher: Shambhala Publications, Inc.

      Worlds of Transformation: Tibetan Art of Wisdom and Compassion

      Marylin M. Rhie Robert A. Thurman David Jackson

      Our Price: $95.00

      Format: Hardcover, 279pp.

      ISBN: 0810963876

      Publisher: Abrams,Harry N Inc

      Pub. Date: April 1999

      Sacred Visions: Early Paintings from Central Tibet

      Steven M. Kossak Jane Casey Singer

      Our Price: $35.00

      Format: Hardcover, 240pp.

      ISBN: 0300086652

      Publisher: Yale University Press

      Pub. Date: August 1999

      History of Tibetan Painting: The Great Tibetan Painters and Their
      Traditions

      David Jackson

      Our Price: $140.00

      Format: Hardcover, 432pp.

      ISBN: 3700122241

      Publisher: Verlag der Osterreichischen Akademie der

      Wissenschaften

      Pub. Date: August 2001

      The Dalai Lama's Secret Temple: Tantric Wall Paintings from Tibet

      Ian A. Baker Thomas Laird

      Our Price: $65.00

      Format: Hardcover, 216pp.

      ISBN: 0500510032

      Publisher: Thames & Hudson

      Pub. Date: September 2000

      Art of Enlightenment

      Yeshe De Project Tarthang Tulku

      Our Price: $4.95

      Format: Paperback, 32pp.

      ISBN: 0898001986

      Publisher: Dharma Publishing

      Pub. Date: June 1998

      And one that is not thangka-related, but caught my eye anyway:

      Zen Buddhist Landscape Arts of Early Muromachi Japan (1336-1573)

      Joseph D. Parker

      Our Price: $26.50

      Format: Hardcover, 320pp.

      ISBN: 0791439097

      Publisher: State University of New York Press

      Pub. Date: April 1999

      Kou Toshikage