Re: Strugling with putting together acceptable Title

  • Dave Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      > On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Dave Jones wrote:
      >
      > > Kagetaka is the name I have chosen,I have found a Kagetake that
      was
      > > from the Asakura Clan that was Overan by Oda Nobunaga in 1573.I
      would
      > > hoping the Title would roughly translate to Kage(Shadow)- taka
      (hawk)

      > 'Title' is usually used for something like 'Lord', 'Minister of the
      > Right', or 'Left Gate Guards' Captain.' What it looks like you are
      > looking at is what is called the 'nanori', the name by which your
      deeds
      > would be known.
      >
      > > or Hawk from the Shadows.My character would have been from the
      Nosaka

      > By character, you mean persona? Just some vocabulary differences
      to try
      > and get us all speaking on the same level.
      >
      > > Mountains in the Omi region.He probably would have been a Asakura
      > > Clan Vasal but as Oda has defeated them he is Either Ronin or a
      Oda
      > > Vasal.I have thought up some Names but I am not sure if these are
      > > correct or even offensive.
      >
      > I don't notice anything offensive right off the bat. I would
      really
      > suggest looking at the books Solveig pointed out. I'm not sure if
      this is
      > one of the sources that Solveig was pointing out but you might look
      here:
      > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Miscellany.html
      >
      > Generally, 'Shadow Hawk' does not seem to be the type of name I
      would
      > expect to see--it sounds about as fanciful as it does in English.
      > However, there are other 'taka' kanji to choose from such as 'high'
      or
      > 'filial'. The only problem is that I am unsure of the implications
      of
      > Kage+ any other choice, and what it could best be used with.
      >
      > > Nosaka-no-Kagetaka(Shadow Hawk from Nosaka?)
      > > Omi-no-Kagetaka (Shadow hawk from Omi Region)?
      > > Asakura-Nosaka-No-Kagetaka(Shadow Hawk fom the Nosaka Mountains
      of
      > > the Asakura Clan)?
      >
      > Are you thinking of having all of these, or are you looking to pick
      one?
      > It would be quite possible to have several different 'names',
      especially
      > when the name is more of a descriptor than a fixed 'name' like we
      think of
      > it (for instance, if we here 'Susan Little' today we don't go
      looking for
      > a smaller person. Likewise, if we hear 'Johnson' we don't go
      looking for
      > someone whose father is named 'John').
      >
      > -Ii

      Wow thanks for the help looks like I still have much to learn about
      putting together a personna.I am glad I have found all you helpful
      people.
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- In sca-jml@y..., "Dave Jones" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
        > Wow thanks for the help looks like I still have much to learn about
        > putting together a personna.I am glad I have found all you helpful
        > people.

        May I suggest you have a look at the writings of Cariadoc of the Bow?
        While his chosen area of interest is Middle Eastern, he brings up a
        lot of excellent ideas which may be of help:
        http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Articles_about_P
        ersona.pdf

        Makiwara