Re: Adventurous ancestors!

  • lost90804
    Message 1 of 56 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > Classifying the Japanese language is fraught with politics. There
      are people
      > who would prefer the Japanese to have been separately evolved from the
      > Japanese monkey.

      :) I thought Amaterasu had something to do with it.

      > As I recall, Nakasone was just about arguing for independent
      > invention of language in Japan in some of his public speeches. My own
      > prefered notion is that Japanese is actually a Ural-Altai/Austronesian
      > hybrid.

      My linguistics readings are more of a result of my computer
      background, so I have no prefered theory, just a note that friends
      that speak both Japanese and Korean find the languages very similar in
      many ways.

      The arguments for Austronesian usually center around phonology and
      > a variety of specialized words. This makes Japanese similar to English
      > in etiology.

      The fusion idea is a sound one I think. If there was a group of exiled
      Koreans, they couldn't have changed everything, just as the Normans
      couldn't in England.

      > A recent innovation aligns Japanese
      > with Tibeto-Burman.

      Interesting, does the Tibeto-Burman use SOV? (subject-object-verb) I
      wasn't aware that there were that many SOV languages kicking around.
      Or is it classified based on characteristics other than grammar.

      > and you have tribes of Ural-Altaic speakers
      > in Korea.

      Agreed, this could have happened. The horse nomad theory that I am
      thinking about though is that the Japanese are in no way, no how
      related to Koreans ;) They came through China!!! not Korea. This is
      currently a discredited theory except for a few extreme cases of Nihonron.

      Very interesting material, thank you.

      Jim Eckman
    • Jordan Malokofsky
      Message 56 of 56 , Dec 19, 2002
        Ii-dono,

        I occasionally get the early messages out of order as well; however,
        I can't imagine that there is a problem with Yahoo. Else, how did the
        others receive the message to reply to? I assume that either A) the
        messages are slow enough to deliver to some mail servers that others
        reply back to the original and that mail goes through faster than the
        original, or B) the time stamp for several of the users are not
        configured correctly, and the e-mail program sorts by date. Thus, the
        original will flag at the right time, but the reply is incorrectly set
        as before the original, or the original is incorrectly set to a future
        time, thus letting replies sort before it.
        Let me know if anyone else has any more insight on this.

        --
        Jordan Malokofsky
        Hayes Lemmerz International, Inc.