Re: Re: Adventurous ancestors!

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 56 , Dec 2, 2002
      From: Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@...>

      >As I recall, those eleveated buildings are usually used to argue the case
      >for a pre-historic immigrant group from Indo-China or Indonesia, I forget
      >which exactly. This is is one of the several places in the book where
      >Ishige is pretty clearly engaged in Nihonron.

      Yes, you can still see similar buildings in Indonesia and from what I've read also in Malaysia and the Philippines.

      >If you want to consider
      >something unusual, then you should consider the log buildings. Interlocked
      >log buildings are quite unusual even in places with lots of forrests. The
      >Pacific Northwest Indians lived in split timber houses. Log houses can be
      >found in areas inhabitted by Ural-Altaic speakers.

      Where is this? Just curious since the classification of the Japanese language is also a touchy subject and different authors have various strange spins on it. There is at least one book out that lists a dozen plus Japanese origin theories with citations and quotes. My favorite is that the Japanese are one of the lost tribes of Israel along with the mysterious horse nomads that show up one day in Japan without ever passing through a China that is already writing histories.

      One of the more reasonable theories is that the original Japanese were a mixture of immigrants from various parts of Southeast Asia that were largely taken over by one of the losing factions of the wars that were endemic to Korea at the time. This theory explains the similarities between Korean and Japanese, it's really one of the dialects of Korean that no longer exist in Korea with borrow words from the earlier immigrants. It also postulates that the early nobility were really Koreans who subjugated the natives using their superior knowledge of war.

      This is not a popular theory in Japan, indeed members of the extreme right might injure or kill you over it. Too bad no independent scholars are allowed to look over the Imperial treasures.

      Jim Eckman
    • Jordan Malokofsky
      Message 56 of 56 , Dec 19, 2002
        Ii-dono,

        I occasionally get the early messages out of order as well; however,
        I can't imagine that there is a problem with Yahoo. Else, how did the
        others receive the message to reply to? I assume that either A) the
        messages are slow enough to deliver to some mail servers that others
        reply back to the original and that mail goes through faster than the
        original, or B) the time stamp for several of the users are not
        configured correctly, and the e-mail program sorts by date. Thus, the
        original will flag at the right time, but the reply is incorrectly set
        as before the original, or the original is incorrectly set to a future
        time, thus letting replies sort before it.
        Let me know if anyone else has any more insight on this.

        --
        Jordan Malokofsky
        Hayes Lemmerz International, Inc.