Re: [SCA-JML] Strugling with putting together acceptable Title

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
      On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Dave Jones wrote:

      > Kagetaka is the name I have chosen,I have found a Kagetake that was
      > from the Asakura Clan that was Overan by Oda Nobunaga in 1573.I would
      > hoping the Title would roughly translate to Kage(Shadow)- taka(hawk)

      'Title' is usually used for something like 'Lord', 'Minister of the
      Right', or 'Left Gate Guards' Captain.' What it looks like you are
      looking at is what is called the 'nanori', the name by which your deeds
      would be known.

      > or Hawk from the Shadows.My character would have been from the Nosaka

      By character, you mean persona? Just some vocabulary differences to try
      and get us all speaking on the same level.

      > Mountains in the Omi region.He probably would have been a Asakura
      > Clan Vasal but as Oda has defeated them he is Either Ronin or a Oda
      > Vasal.I have thought up some Names but I am not sure if these are
      > correct or even offensive.

      I don't notice anything offensive right off the bat. I would really
      suggest looking at the books Solveig pointed out. I'm not sure if this is
      one of the sources that Solveig was pointing out but you might look here:
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Miscellany.html

      Generally, 'Shadow Hawk' does not seem to be the type of name I would
      expect to see--it sounds about as fanciful as it does in English.
      However, there are other 'taka' kanji to choose from such as 'high' or
      'filial'. The only problem is that I am unsure of the implications of
      Kage+ any other choice, and what it could best be used with.

      > Nosaka-no-Kagetaka(Shadow Hawk from Nosaka?)
      > Omi-no-Kagetaka (Shadow hawk from Omi Region)?
      > Asakura-Nosaka-No-Kagetaka(Shadow Hawk fom the Nosaka Mountains of
      > the Asakura Clan)?

      Are you thinking of having all of these, or are you looking to pick one?
      It would be quite possible to have several different 'names', especially
      when the name is more of a descriptor than a fixed 'name' like we think of
      it (for instance, if we here 'Susan Little' today we don't go looking for
      a smaller person. Likewise, if we hear 'Johnson' we don't go looking for
      someone whose father is named 'John').

      -Ii
    • Dave Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
        > On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Dave Jones wrote:
        >
        > > Kagetaka is the name I have chosen,I have found a Kagetake that
        was
        > > from the Asakura Clan that was Overan by Oda Nobunaga in 1573.I
        would
        > > hoping the Title would roughly translate to Kage(Shadow)- taka
        (hawk)

        > 'Title' is usually used for something like 'Lord', 'Minister of the
        > Right', or 'Left Gate Guards' Captain.' What it looks like you are
        > looking at is what is called the 'nanori', the name by which your
        deeds
        > would be known.
        >
        > > or Hawk from the Shadows.My character would have been from the
        Nosaka

        > By character, you mean persona? Just some vocabulary differences
        to try
        > and get us all speaking on the same level.
        >
        > > Mountains in the Omi region.He probably would have been a Asakura
        > > Clan Vasal but as Oda has defeated them he is Either Ronin or a
        Oda
        > > Vasal.I have thought up some Names but I am not sure if these are
        > > correct or even offensive.
        >
        > I don't notice anything offensive right off the bat. I would
        really
        > suggest looking at the books Solveig pointed out. I'm not sure if
        this is
        > one of the sources that Solveig was pointing out but you might look
        here:
        > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Miscellany.html
        >
        > Generally, 'Shadow Hawk' does not seem to be the type of name I
        would
        > expect to see--it sounds about as fanciful as it does in English.
        > However, there are other 'taka' kanji to choose from such as 'high'
        or
        > 'filial'. The only problem is that I am unsure of the implications
        of
        > Kage+ any other choice, and what it could best be used with.
        >
        > > Nosaka-no-Kagetaka(Shadow Hawk from Nosaka?)
        > > Omi-no-Kagetaka (Shadow hawk from Omi Region)?
        > > Asakura-Nosaka-No-Kagetaka(Shadow Hawk fom the Nosaka Mountains
        of
        > > the Asakura Clan)?
        >
        > Are you thinking of having all of these, or are you looking to pick
        one?
        > It would be quite possible to have several different 'names',
        especially
        > when the name is more of a descriptor than a fixed 'name' like we
        think of
        > it (for instance, if we here 'Susan Little' today we don't go
        looking for
        > a smaller person. Likewise, if we hear 'Johnson' we don't go
        looking for
        > someone whose father is named 'John').
        >
        > -Ii

        Wow thanks for the help looks like I still have much to learn about
        putting together a personna.I am glad I have found all you helpful
        people.
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
          --- In sca-jml@y..., "Dave Jones" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
          > Wow thanks for the help looks like I still have much to learn about
          > putting together a personna.I am glad I have found all you helpful
          > people.

          May I suggest you have a look at the writings of Cariadoc of the Bow?
          While his chosen area of interest is Middle Eastern, he brings up a
          lot of excellent ideas which may be of help:
          http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Articles_about_P
          ersona.pdf

          Makiwara