[SCA-JML] Re: Adventurous ancestors!

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 56 , Dec 1, 2002

      > > It would almost appear that the technology for rice cultivation
      >came down
      >> from Korea. Ishige goes on to mention, however,
      >that "...storehouses for
      >> harvested rice that have been found at early rice-growing
      >settlements in
      >> Japan are architecturally distinctive in that they stand atop high
      >posts.
      > > Examples of that takakura form are still in use today on islands
      >south of
      > > Kyushu and in the Okinawa group.

      As I recall, those eleveated buildings are usually used to argue the case
      for a pre-historic immigrant group from Indo-China or Indonesia, I forget
      which exactly. This is is one of the several places in the book where
      Ishige is pretty clearly engaged in Nihonron. If you want to consider
      something unusual, then you should consider the log buildings. Interlocked
      log buildings are quite unusual even in places with lots of forrests. The
      Pacific Northwest Indians lived in split timber houses. Log houses can be
      found in areas inhabitted by Ural-Altaic speakers.

    • Jordan Malokofsky
      Message 56 of 56 , Dec 19, 2002
        Ii-dono,

        I occasionally get the early messages out of order as well; however,
        I can't imagine that there is a problem with Yahoo. Else, how did the
        others receive the message to reply to? I assume that either A) the
        messages are slow enough to deliver to some mail servers that others
        reply back to the original and that mail goes through faster than the
        original, or B) the time stamp for several of the users are not
        configured correctly, and the e-mail program sorts by date. Thus, the
        original will flag at the right time, but the reply is incorrectly set
        as before the original, or the original is incorrectly set to a future
        time, thus letting replies sort before it.
        Let me know if anyone else has any more insight on this.

        --
        Jordan Malokofsky
        Hayes Lemmerz International, Inc.