Re: Ya and related things

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 52 , Nov 30, 2002
      --- In sca-jml@y..., "Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie"
      <kabuto@c...> wrote:
      > Greetings to all of the List from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou
      Yukiie,
      > I have done much armor work, and have reasonable skills in machining
      > and metal-working, but I am wondering if anybody has done any work
      in
      > forging arrow heads for Japaneese ya...I have done very little "hot"
      > work, but am very interested in making real (enough) combat heads
      for
      > ya. I have references to images of the look, but wonder about the
      > metalurgy, or the actual production...
      > How similar is it to sword production, and how can the "look" be
      best
      > achieved under modern practices?

      Greetings,
      I just found my water damaged copy of the Fall 2000 "Instinctive
      Archer" issue which contains an article by Herbert Cole on forging
      yanone. His reproduction is of a Teikyo (c. 1691) era willow leaf
      arrowhead pierced with one cherry blossom, a type which would
      probably have been commissioned as a gift or offering to a temple,
      rather than for actual use.

      The article says Mr. Cole can be contacted c/o Instinctive Archer, 29
      Batley Court, Oldland, S Gloucestershire, UK BS30 8YZ.

      Instinctive Archer can be contacted at P.O. Box 400 Horseshoe Bend,
      ID 83629-0400.

      Hope this is helpful,
      Makiwara
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko