So, why all these sôhei anyway?

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2002
      The more I read, the more I'm wondering what it was that Enryakuji and
      Miidera were fighting so violently about all those years. It seems that
      almost every major conflict in Japan, Enryakuji monks are on one side and
      Miidera monks are on the other (with a few exceptions). Is this a secular
      dispute between the two or religious differences? Or is it just
      coincidence because the two are both located in Heian-kyô?