[SCA-JML] Re: Kyujutsu, SCA rules, books

  • George Charette
    Message 1 of 74 , Mar 1, 2000
      >From: Ron Martino <yumitori@...>
      >To: sca-jml@...
      >Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Kyujutsu, SCA rules, books
      >Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:59:47 -0700
      >
      > > Number two- Ya (arrows) seem to be kind of on the pricey side. I
      > > have looked into making my own, but it seems awfully hard to find cedar
      > > shafts in the proper length. Does anyone know where to get them?
      > > Failing that, I know that I can get cut-to-length aluminum shafts. Can
      > > anyone tell me a)will that be SCA legal since I can't afford *real* ya,
      > > and b)what sort of spine will I need to get optimal performance with a
      > > 30-35lb. draw yumi?
      >
      > Aluminum is not accepted as shafts for SCA arrows. Have you considered
      >bamboo?

      I'm actually shooting with two types of ya :wooden and bamboo. I found that
      bamboo one are so flexible that they seem to get anywhere else but the place
      I want them too. Maybe the bamboo used for them was too flexible...

      Tajima Tokigata
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 74 of 74 , Mar 17, 2000
        On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > Actually, I was a bad boy and skipped out without finding the exact
        > > address. It was next to Nijo Castle, and it was just a small hole in
        > > the wall, from the looks of it. I wish, looking back, that I had paid
        > > more attention, but my main thought was that I didn't have enough money,
        > > and then some other people walked in; and the people were pretty busy.
        > >

        > Hmmm... Okay, as you stand in front of the entrance to Nijo, is it to the left or
        > right? Same street, or down a side street?

        From the castle I headed south (right from the castle entrance, and it was
        at the northeast corner of the next block down, if I am remembering
        correctly. (In other words, head south, cross the street, and you're
        there.)

        It caught my eye because of the tsuba and various other furniture in the
        window. I thought it might have something I could afford. On entering,
        however...

        Well, the entire 'shop' seems to be just a selling point. It is one room,
        enough space for maybe 5 people, comfortably. Blades are mounted on the
        walls. I'm pretty sure they do more than shinken, and I sure hope it was
        real shinken with the price tags I saw.

        They also had one ancient looking tsuba for about \11,000 or more, that I
        saw. I wish I could help more. Now I really feel bad for not being more
        attentive.

        > True. I'd like to go in and look at the place in person, though... <g>

        Nod.

        And thanks for the rest of the info.

        -Godric Logan