[SCA-JML] Re: web site - subdomains

  • Jordan Malokofsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2000
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:
      > Technically, you can have an unlimitted number of subsidiary sites in
      > the sense of japan.sca.org .. Well almost. Names can be up to about
      > 64 characters long and are pretty much limitted to almphanumerics, dots,
      > and dashes. Calling these things "vanity sites" is being more than a bit
      > silly. This sort of thing is COMMON .. The easiest way in which this
      > sort of thing comes about is by connecting a new named computer to an
      > existing domain space. For example. My computer is called demoivre and
      > by virtue of being connected to the network at Bradley University is
      > demoivre.bradley.edu ... You can also assign multiple names to a single
      > computer. Calling this a "vanity" activity is also silly. If you are an ISP
      > selling sites to commercial customers, having your own domain (even if hosted
      > on a shared computer) is an important aspect of branding.

      Some people also call them subdomains, although the term I've heard
      most used is vanity. Yes, there are technically an unlimited number
      of subdomains available (Japanese.sca.org, japan.history.sca.org,
      etc.), however you have to pay for each of them with a web host. That
      or host your own web site.

      Subete no kisoku ni reigai ari.
      <There is an exception to every rule.>

      Jordan Malokofsky - Mundane