Buddhist Nuns

  • Rhiannon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2002
      Does anyone have information on buddhist nuns during the late Heian/Kamakura
      period? particularly naming practices, attire.......

      Rhiannon (who is still sorting out her japanese persona)
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2002
        >Does anyone have information on buddhist nuns during the late Heian/Kamakura
        >period? particularly naming practices, attire.......

        Have you checked the web site for the costume museum yet? It is one of
        the best sources for information about Japanese wore. As for names used
        by female nuns of about the time of the Genpei War, this depends a bit
        on what sort of background they had. Various women of the imperial court
        cut their hair and became nuns. We do have some information about them.
        Women of other ranks who became nuns are a bit more difficult to obtain
        information about. There may be stuff in History of Japanese Female Names
        if you can read Japanese. I have a photocopy somewhere, but I have not seen
        it for a while. The three volume book was out of print the last time I
        checked. It is available at most East Asian research libraries.

        The major difference imparted by noble birth in female monastic names
        appears to have to do with byname formation. The actual Houmyou appears
        similar to other Buddhist houmyou.