1520's kyoto history help! Please!

  • corinnehennenberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2002
      Hello,

      I am periodically subscribed to this list, usually lurking. My name
      is Corinne in the SCA, Colleen Mundane. Dwelling in BC, Canada
      (eisenmarche)

      I was wondering if anyone knows who was Incharge of the Kyoto area in
      1521.

      Or even better where I could possibly find out this information.

      Need the information for a event proposal for the fall of 2004. Yes I
      plan ahead.

      Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated.

      Cheers
      Corinne/ Colleen
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2002
        On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, corinnehennenberg wrote:

        > I am periodically subscribed to this list, usually lurking. My name
        > is Corinne in the SCA, Colleen Mundane. Dwelling in BC, Canada
        > (eisenmarche)
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone knows who was Incharge of the Kyoto area in
        > 1521.

        Well, depends on what you mean by 'in charge'.

        It was Eishou 18, the 22 year of Emperor Go-kashiwabara's reign. Later
        that year he would undergo his coronation and the year would become Daiei
        1 (not sure just when that took place). It was the last year of Shogun
        Ashikaga Yoshitane's second reign (10th Ashikaga Shogun, 1466-1523); he
        would abdicate to the 12th Ashikaga Shogun, Ashikaga Yoshiharu
        (1511-1550), who was born in the same year the 11th shogun, Ashikaga
        Yoshiharu (1480-1511) died at age 31.

        Despite the Ashikaga Shogunate, the provinces are restless. Provincial
        daimyo gain power. The high cultural achievements of the Higashiyama era
        are a thing of the past, and the daimyo vie for power.

        I think Ashikaga Masauji is Kanto kanrei/Koga kubo but I'm not sure if it
        is him or Ashikaga Takamoto.

        Not too sure beyond that at the moment. I could try to look it up for
        you, though.

        > Or even better where I could possibly find out this information.
        >
        > Need the information for a event proposal for the fall of 2004. Yes I
        > plan ahead.

        -Ii

        (The above information was collected at:
        http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/muromachi/index.php,
        under 'History', 'timeline'.)
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2002
          Ii Saburou wrote:

          > On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, corinnehennenberg wrote:
          >
          > > I am periodically subscribed to this list, usually lurking. My name
          > > is Corinne in the SCA, Colleen Mundane. Dwelling in BC, Canada
          > > (eisenmarche)
          > >
          > > I was wondering if anyone knows who was Incharge of the Kyoto area in
          > > 1521.
          >
          > Well, depends on what you mean by 'in charge'.

          Indeed. I'm not sure who the putative "guy in charge" in Yamashiro was in
          1521; the daimyo lists show no daimyo of Yamashiro after 1517 (when it was
          Ouchi Yoshioki, who was named Kanrei in '08).

          > It was Eishou 18, the 22 year of Emperor Go-kashiwabara's reign. Later
          > that year he would undergo his coronation and the year would become Daiei
          > 1 (not sure just when that took place).

          The 23rd day of the 8th lunar month was the first day of Taiei 1.
          (Corresponding to Sept. 23 of that year in the Western calendar). <G>

          > I think Ashikaga Masauji is Kanto kanrei/Koga kubo but I'm not sure if it
          > is him or Ashikaga Takamoto.

          Nijo Tadafusa was the kanpaku.

          Hosokawa Takakuni (a.k.a. "Doei", "Ukyo no Taiyu", "Musashi-no-kami") was
          the bakufu deputy in '21.

          The Kanto Kanrei in 1521 was Uesugi Norifusa.

          Kanto kubo in 1521 was apparently unoccupied; after 1491 (Ashikaga
          Chachamaru) there is no one listed holding the office.

          Effingham
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 15, 2002
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! In what sense do you mean "in charge of"? Generally
            speaking, Heiankyou was about the only place during much of the Muromachi
            period where the Ashikaga were really in control.

            >Hello,
            >

            >I am periodically subscribed to this list, usually lurking. My name
            >is Corinne in the SCA, Colleen Mundane. Dwelling in BC, Canada
            >(eisenmarche)
            >
            >I was wondering if anyone knows who was Incharge of the Kyoto area in
            >1521.
            >
            >Or even better where I could possibly find out this information.
            >
            >Need the information for a event proposal for the fall of 2004. Yes I
            >plan ahead.
            >

            >Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated.
            >

            >Cheers
            >Corinne/ Colleen

          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2002