Re: Re: Colors, was de-lurking and a question

  • jcruz@sd.synetics.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 12, 2002
      Hi. Chiming in for a moment. Just a few thoughts on the death and colors
      subject.

      I don't know this for a fact, but an anthropologist friend of mine says
      that white associates with death because the dead are cremated, and the
      ashes left behind are white.

      There is also an association with white = purity in Chinese culture. (And,
      of course, the Japanese may have inheritted it thus.) The dead were
      dressed in white because it was thought that they should appear pure when
      they moved on to the next life/world/realm/whatever. White paper would be
      wrapped around cherished items and the items burned, thus sending the item
      to the deceased in the next world. A tradition that continues to this day
      at Chinese funerals is to give out white envelopes with sweet candy (to
      take away the bitter taste of death) and hell money to be burned. The hell
      money helps the dead in various transactions in the afterlife. (I'm
      imagining there's a thriving economy in the buddhist hell, between hell
      money and bartering cherished items . . .) There is a resultant saying
      that white envelopes are unlucky, and tend to contain bad news. White
      Scarves and White Rings were apparently particularly associated with death
      in China.

      Shinto equates the color white with purity. The idea of wrapping a corpse
      in white to purify it seems to be present in most cultures.

      There seems to be a little correlation to this in parts of India also, so
      it may have followed along with Buddhism. There is an Indian / Hindu
      connection in the fact that color related to caste and karma. The darker
      your skin, the worse your karma (and therefore the lower your caste) was
      thought to be. The Brahmins were generally pale skinned. So perhaps
      dressing the dead in white was an attempt to upgrade their ticket to the
      next/after-life a bit?

      One might also note that the typically visible flesh of a corpse loses much
      of its color, can become quite pallid, because the blood is pulled out of
      it by gravity. Even very dark skinned corpses can become quite pale. Thus
      white may again associate with corpses.

      Black is apparently associated with death in the Western world because of
      the Romans. It was a tradition for mourners to dress in black because it
      was thought to hide the mourners from the spirits of the deceased who might
      otherwise try to haunt them. As such, the tradition of wearing black to
      mourn predates Christianity, but also seems to follow it out of Rome.

      Just some thoughts.

      --Ishii no Jinkuro (or is it improper to write that "no"?)