Re: [SCA-JML] Title Help, and yet more thoughts on de-mystification

  • ipsley1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
      Gerald of Ipsley to all, greeting
      With regard to the titles in the Caidian potter's guild, and to guild titles
      generally:

      For many years, I have thought that the Order should relax the titles
      "Master" and "Mistress" to the guilds. They have more use for them than we.
      I have always been perfectly happy to be described as a companion of any
      order to which I belong. The term actually goes back to the Companion
      Cavalry of Alexander the Great, and until we got into some of the Victorian
      British orders, a companion of an order meant the companion of the crown
      (British orders are now stratified, and a Knight Grand Cross of an order is
      not at all the same as a Companion of the order). Do I think that we're
      ready to do any such thing? No, I don't think we're ready, as an order, or
      as a Society. But we can still talk about it, and for those of you who
      dislike the title Master or Mistress, try out the alternatives. My bet is
      that you will continue to be known as a Laurel.

      On De-Mystification. I like being able to talk to people. It's tough to do
      when there's not an office I hold, and so I take stuff to events. People
      will talk about the thing, and then whatever else is on their minds. A
      fascinating thing to do, and by the way, consonant with my promise to
      encourage the arts. I fully support the notions of secrecy of discussions
      within the order, love Calontir's ceremonial in the vigil, and have done my
      best to further the variety and authenticity of ceremonial in court--but I go
      to events for the people

      Gerald of Ipsley, OL, OP
      the laurel was in the area of the year 1525, which is either a
      micro-specialized or an exceedingly generalized laurel, depending on how you
      look at it.

    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
        Greetings to all on the list from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
        As a former Marine, I would like to quietly extend warm wishes and
        Happy Birthday to any current or former United States Marines on the
        JML. Semper Fi
        Date