Paper hair ties

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5 4:19 PM
      While reading the 13th century story of Lady Nijo, I found mention of
      women's hair ties being made of paper. Does anyone know anything
      about what sort of paper might have been used?

      Many thanks,
      Makiwara
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5 4:29 PM
        Hi, The Japanese would spin paper and make yarn out
        of it and then weave it into fabric. The single
        strands of paper yarn might have been braided and used
        as hair ties. I spin paper, but have no reference to
        it being used for hair ties. Do you have a picture.
        Bill

        --- makiwara_no_yetsuko
        <makiwara_no_yetsuko@...> wrote:
        > While reading the 13th century story of Lady Nijo, I
        > found mention of
        > women's hair ties being made of paper. Does anyone
        > know anything
        > about what sort of paper might have been used?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > Makiwara

        =====
        Bill Fornshell
        Founder and President
        Cold Mountain Chanoyu
        (Tea School for the New Millennium)
        School of One
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6 7:17 AM
          --- In sca-jml@y..., Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > Hi, The Japanese would spin paper and make yarn out
          > of it and then weave it into fabric. The single
          > strands of paper yarn might have been braided and used
          > as hair ties. I spin paper, but have no reference to
          > it being used for hair ties. Do you have a picture.

          Not per se, as the description was from a diary. However, some of the
          photos from the Kyoto Costume Museum which show back views of Heian
          and Kamakura costume show the women's hair bound with stiff white
          bows.(http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/index.htm)

          Many thanks,
          Makiwara
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6 8:41 AM
            Hi, Have you done a search for the words "monoimi"
            (saikai) and "takenaga" . Monoimi is a term with some
            Shinto reference. Takenaga is a special paper type. I
            believe that the braided paper thing used in the hair
            has a Shinto reference. I have a braided paper cord
            such as you sometimes see around a tree in Japan
            hanging just inside my home. I will put a picture of
            it in a new photo album called Shifu (paper yarn).
            This might be a good children's project at a sca
            event. The paper can be twisted by hand or with a
            spinning wheel. The kids could twist the paper by
            hand and then make a 3 ply cord. I am in a spinning
            event this weekend and have just prepared the paper
            for 2400 feet of yarn. I am part of a team and we
            will spin the paper and then weave it into a piece 24"
            wide and about 70" long. We will do this in less than
            4 hours. The term "takenaga" is used for a special
            paper they made and must have been used to make hair
            things. Takenaga was a hard word to find as a
            reference to the hair things as it seems it is also
            the name for more modern things and a few people. I am
            up to my ears in making pottery for large Salt kiln I
            am firing in 3 weeks and when that is under control I
            will also dig deeper into this subject. I am always
            looking for interesting things done with paper. Bill

            --- makiwara_no_yetsuko

            =====

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6 2:40 PM
              --- In sca-jml@y..., Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > Hi, Have you done a search for the words "monoimi"
              > (saikai) and "takenaga" . Monoimi is a term with some
              > Shinto reference. Takenaga is a special paper type.
              No, but I will. Thanks for the names!

              Bill, are you spinning actual paper or wood fibers? This summer at
              Yosemite, I saw a Native American docent demonstrate how the local
              tribes made fish nets by peeling fine, narrow strips of wood and
              spinning them into string.

              > believe that the braided paper thing used in the hair
              > has a Shinto reference. I have a braided paper cord
              > such as you sometimes see around a tree in Japan
              > hanging just inside my home. I will put a picture of
              > it in a new photo album called Shifu (paper yarn).
              Thanks for posting them. The pics at the Kyoto Costume Museum appear
              to show hair ties as flat white (paper?) ribbon, as opposed to a yarn
              or cord. I may have to experiment with papers of various weights and
              and see what actually works.

              > I am up to my ears in making pottery for large Salt kiln I
              > am firing in 3 weeks and when that is under control I
              > will also dig deeper into this subject. I am always
              > looking for interesting things done with paper.
              Sounds like you keep pretty busy. :->

              Many thanks,
              Makiwara
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6 3:22 PM
                Hi, Paper, yes, most any type. Right now I am
                spinning the color paper from the Sunday comics. This
                is also what we are spinning and weaving for a Fiber
                to Fashion event this weekend. Paper spinning is an
                old Japanese art that is called Shifu. Look for Washi
                first then Shifu. If you do I search for Shifu you
                will find that the word means other things. I learned
                how to do this from Japanese lady in Kyoto summer of
                1999. She just showed us how to prepare the paper and
                then said "now you spin it into paper yarn and do
                something with it" I taught myself how to spin paper
                and have tried most ever paper. The Japanese make a
                paper just for Shifu that has all the fiber running
                the same way (grain) and is very strong and can be
                washed. Washed like you might a fine sweater. They
                also make the kimono out of Shifu and sell them for up
                to $20,000 each. This web site is a good one to start
                with. http://www.jgc.co.jp/waza/b4_washi/washi02.htm
                You will also see a reference to Kamiko paper. look
                over this as it may intrest you also. If you go to the
                address in my signature and look for "paper yarn" or
                "shifu" you will find some pictures of how the paper
                is prepared. It is easy and for a small amount of
                yarn you could do the twisting by hand. I have just
                finished cutting 34 sheets of paper that will make 800
                yards of paper yarn. Look over the reference and if
                you have questions a will try an answer them. Bill
                --- makiwara_no_yetsuko

                =====